No boys allowed

by statia on March 3, 2004

Being a girl, I’m all about girl power. I can change my oil, and my air filter. I can also change my wiper blades in the dark, in the dead of winter. Volvo’s concept car for women is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. I has detachable seat pads that you can coordinate with outfits. They’ve moved the windshield washer fluid door to the side, so that the “bonnet” (i.e. hood) is permanently attached to the car and can only be opened by a volvo mechanic. Folks, let me tell you something. If some car company decided that it was in my best interest to lock my hood onto my car so that I, a woman, couldn’t open it, I’d shove my foot right up their ass. Not to mention that the car is just fucking ugly.

There are just so many things wrong with this article from a woman’s standpoint:

“Then in winter you might chose a woollen seat pad, maybe in a strong cosy colour or you may go for the lighter, more Scandinavian looking one.”

“It is storage, storage and more storage,” said Ms Christiansen.

And for women with ponytails, there is even a split in the middle of the headrest.

“It is very uncomfortable to drive with a ponytail,” said Ms Christiansen.

“Volvo will never actually take this car into production, of course. “

Thank god, because it’s ugly.

But you know, maybe if they made it in pink…….

tricia March 3, 2004 at 2:37 pm

What a fucking insult. I wonder if it has a lip stick holder so I could jam it into whoever designed that thing?

me March 3, 2004 at 2:41 pm

Way to make your point there einstein.

tricia March 3, 2004 at 2:46 pm

Aw screw you. I meant to say something about lipstick into going into someone’s eye.. but I never got to that point. It’s been a long day.

jen March 3, 2004 at 3:15 pm

but an oil change, every 31,000 miles….come ON, that has SOME merit! ;-)

Deltus March 3, 2004 at 3:50 pm

Well, a couple of things in that car sounded like really good ideas, “woman car” or not. Removable magnetic seat covers, so they can be cleaned? Awesome idea. Car seats are a bugger to clean. Also, the idea of lower-maintenance is a good one, but let’s do it by reducing the number of moving parts, and let us under the hood while we’re at it. Magnetic brakes (instead of the needs-to-be-replaced friction-based brakes) would be a nice addition.

SJW March 3, 2004 at 3:58 pm

Yay! – a car that will accommodate my ponytail AND my compulsive shopping addiction!

Lisa March 3, 2004 at 8:50 pm

Ugh. I don’t have anything else to say to that.

Brad March 6, 2004 at 9:29 am

Not to be totally tangential — even though that’s when I’m at my best — the idea of a semi-permanently affixed hood is not a new one.

The Audi A2 (not sold in the US) has a very similar system. All the regular maintenance items — oil, wiper fluid, etc. — are accessible from the front of the car by folding down the grill. In truth, only a mechanic needs to open the hood (which could be you, grease monkey Statia :) ). Personally, I think it’s a great idea. None of the fussing around with “where is it?” when everything is one place and clearly labeled.

sean March 8, 2004 at 11:01 pm

Supposedly it was designed by an all-woman team, for women. Although other cars have the hoods welded shut — the Porsche Boxter and the Smart comes to mind–it does sound scarily condesending.