I was gonna go out to eat, and then I got high

by statia on March 19, 2004

Last night, I had dinner with Mac, Erika, Jay, Ericalynn, and her fiance, Stephen. We ended up on the subject of pot. In the middle of the conversation, I had said that I had never done pot. I swear I heard crickets as 5 heads snapped and looked at me. They thought I was kidding, and were actually surprised.

Yeah, I’ve never in my life done an illegal drug. I’m such a goody goody. Now, I’m not saying that there hasn’t been an opportunity or two (or ten) that has presented itself over the years. When I was in college, that’s all anyone had done. I was just happy enough with liquor, that I never had the desire.

I know I can’t be the only one out there that’s never done a single drug. Come people, wasn’t anyone scared straight by the D.A.R.E program growing up?

Pete March 19, 2004 at 10:39 am

The D.A.R.E. program made me want to do drugs more…well, that was school in general.

Sarah March 19, 2004 at 10:42 am

DARE, for me, became Drugs Are Really Exciting.

I could help you with that not-ever-having-smoked thing, you know. I have a friend….

Wendy March 19, 2004 at 10:59 am

I don’t think it was the whole D.A.R.E. thing that scared me so much, but just that whole “this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs” commercial with the egg and the pan.

But, I, too, can say I’ve never done a single drug.

matt March 19, 2004 at 11:01 am

i’m right there with you. my step dad was a cop in a very small town, so i didn’t even drink until i went away to college. i’ve had a few contact highs, but that is about it.

ericalynn March 19, 2004 at 11:04 am

my friend actually said that the egg commercial made her not want to eat eggs and she hasn’t since then. this friend also smokes copious amounts of pot.

matt March 19, 2004 at 11:13 am

when they redid the egg commerical with Rachael Leigh Cook it just made me want to jump her bones that much more. ;)

rickg March 19, 2004 at 11:28 am

Well, as long as second-hand smoke doesn’t count, I, too, have never done any illegal drugs. In college I was around plenty of folks who were doing them sitting right next to me, but I never was interested…so i didn’t

kat March 19, 2004 at 11:39 am

Well, if you were sitting right next to them and they were smoking pot, you were high.

I applaud those of you have never done them but DARE was not around when I went to school. We had Nancys Just Say No program. Say no to what? Say no to homework! Say no to crappy lunches! It was a really pathetic program.

Sarah March 19, 2004 at 11:46 am

Longtime stoner here. I think contact-highs are a fallacy.

theresa March 19, 2004 at 11:53 am

I’ve never done an illegal drug in my life.. unless you count drinking alcohol underage. but who doesn’t do that? my main reason was that i was considering a career with the FBI or NSA, and they loooove asking you questions about how many drugs you’ve done. I wanted to make sure I could pass my polygraph with flying colors.

Feisty Girl March 19, 2004 at 12:20 pm

I have never in my life taken an illegal drug, and neither has my husband. You are not alone Miss Sporty.

skits March 19, 2004 at 1:34 pm

I tried pot once when I was 17. It wasn’t thrilling, and I’ve never touched anything remotely illegal since. Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Alison March 19, 2004 at 1:46 pm

I smoked cigarettes before I was 18, and I drank alcohol before I was 21, but other than that, I’ve never done any illegal drugs. I’ve had about a bazillion opportunities to, but I just never felt like it, I guess.

SJW March 19, 2004 at 1:49 pm

I’m so proud to be your cuz!

I never did an illegal drug and have likewise provoked the crickets response when it comes up in conversation. Alcohol was always good enough for me – must be them Polish genes. Also, in college, I was happy enough hanging out with my high-on-life friends, smoking cloves and scheming about converting an el camino into the ultimate partymobile. No time for drugs, really.

ed March 19, 2004 at 2:11 pm

i was always bugged out by the drug/smoking/drinking thing throughout highschool…wouldn’t go NEAR it…but then i got to college, said fuck-it, and learned the true meaning of “bud” — and i’m not talking about ‘weiser’… proud stoner ever since….it just gives you a completely different perspective on things. (not every time, just once you’ve had the experience..) no regrets whatsoever…we’re all going to die, why not see some of the more bizarre things life has to offer??

Annastazia March 19, 2004 at 4:02 pm

Add me to that no-drug-ever group. And yes, for me D.A.R.E. did help do the trick, but only because one of the teaching-cops was a close friend of my dad. Somehow that was scarier than anything in my little binder of ‘peer-pressure scenarios.’

robyn March 19, 2004 at 4:41 pm

Never did illegal drugs here, either. (I’ve never even so much as taken one puff off a cigarette.) I think we all know I more than made up for this fact with alcohol though… ;-)

tricia March 19, 2004 at 8:41 pm

I’m only 19, but I have yet to do any illegal drugs. Being surrounded by friends who LOOOOOOOOVE them is a real pain in the ass, but why start doing something expensive when I can get really drunk off of cheap (and not so cheap) alcohol??

Camille March 20, 2004 at 11:06 am

I had never done any illegal drugs until I was in my third year of college. I never had the desire, and still didn’t – even though I was hanging around a bunch of pot heads (who I’m sure dabbled in other things). Eventually, I got curious. I smoked it. And then once i was drunk and one of ‘em talked me into taking half of a rohypnol (now called the date rape drug). After that, I never smoked pot again or have taken any pill. When you wake up and have no idea where your car is, or how you got where you are, it’s pretty freakin’ scary. So my stint with the illegal drugs only lasted a couple of months. And soon after college, I got to where I could care less about drinking alcohol! I like to think of myself as a goody-goody who went bad for a little bit, only to realize I like being a goody-goody.

Mala March 20, 2004 at 12:57 pm

I’ve never tried any drugs. Most of my friends don’t believe me (whatever), but drinking’s always been more than enough for me.