Hey Now

by statia on March 16, 2004

Lately, everywhere I turn, fucking people (read: Bush) is trying to take away our first amendment right to freedom of speech. This whole thing with the FCC trying to take Stern off the air is pissing me off more and more every day. I’ve listened to Stern for the better part of 20 years. That’s right, 20. When I was a kid, it was just about the only thing on the radio, so my mother would keep it on in the kitchen. I don’t listen to him as much as I used to, but you know, I’d like to have that right if I want to. Now you have parents in an uproar over the risque Britney Spears concert. Which I agree wholeheartedly with Valley. If you don’t like what could be presented, just don’t let your kids go. Simple as that. Why are you going to make Britney change her act just to please you?

I seriously don’t get it. The guy has been on the radio for 25 years. I don’t think I’m desensitized to things because of listening to him.

Anyway, go and “sign” the petition.

I gotta tell ya, some days, people should be lucky that I don’t own a gun. I can’t be desensitized, nothing ever ceases to amaze me.

[via skits]

sledge March 16, 2004 at 1:06 pm

as a radio dude, Stern is right on.

It should be all about parental responsibility – and NOT what “the government” wants you to hear – but then, it is an election year…

Genuine March 16, 2004 at 1:16 pm

Wait….speech rights or gun rights?

erin March 16, 2004 at 3:08 pm

I’m not a longtime Stern listener, only recently bc my boyfriend’s a fan. But he’s absolutely right about the FCC, even if you have to filter out his trademark dramatic ranting to agree with him — I’m not saying I do, but I wish some people who don’t like him could get past his personality to the importance of his message!

Kevin March 16, 2004 at 3:08 pm

Maybe I’m missing something, but I still don’t get how the FCC is making Clear Channel take Stern off the air. It’s Clear Channel’s decision – not the FCC’s, right?

The old standby still exists, if you don’t like the program…change the channel.

Ryan March 16, 2004 at 3:21 pm

Well said!!! I can’t believe what is going on with this. It blows my mind. What I find more ironic is that they can get bills introduced to senate so fast when they are after someone. I don’t want to even get started here but I am sure you have been listening lately if you made a post regarding this. I hope he goes to XM Radio.

another ed March 16, 2004 at 4:40 pm

I dunno. While I’ve always dug Stern, he is presented over a federally regulated medium. The big bucks for a nationally syndicated talk show also come with playing by their rules. He knows them.

SJW March 17, 2004 at 11:06 am

Dear Mr. Bush,
I don’t give a flying fuck about “protecting” our and our children’s fucking sensibilities. Fix the goddamned economy, asshole!

AND, a note to anyone who is or wants to be a parent: it is YOUR responsibility to protect your kids and teach them to use their best judgment, not the government’s! So go make your voices heard louder than those of the overprotected housewives who feel the government’s intervention can fix their kids.