Fit for life

by statia on February 9, 2004

Generally, I’m not an advocate of what Peta is doing these days. I’m all for animal rights. I don’t think animals should have to suffer unecessarily. I’m against animal cruelty and abuse. Having a dog, as well as many animals over the years, leaves situations like this very near and dear to my heart. I have to wonder if all of that is worth it. Dog food is probably the worst thing for your dog. Yeah, you’ll find that hard to believe because it’s what the pet food companies want you to believe.

When we had first gotten g-man, it was our first dog, and therefor trial and error. We gave him what the breeder gave him, and he eventually just stopped eating, yet, he was still gaining weight. We switched him over to Eukanuba, another Iams line. He kept getting sick, and again, still managed to gain weight. At 8 months old, they told us he needed to go on a diet, when he was already eating less than the required amount. He was only a puppy, and we were starving him.

I had read a book, that had talked about feeding your dog regular food, and the issues with pet food as a whole, not being very good for your dog. How it shortens the life span of your pet. I’m not the type of person to go out and do something on a whim. I did more research and decided to give it a shot. I didn’t really have anything to lose at that point. He was fat, throwing up once a week, and eating out of the litter box because he was so hungry. I started feeding him equal portions of meat/carb/veggie.

g-man will be five this week. I get more compliments on his coat, and overall physique, and I attribute it to his diet. Most labs are overweight. Mine was no exception, and god knows how healthy he would have been today, had I not started that diet when I did.

Granted, I’m not saying that this diet is for everyone. It’s work. I get laughed at, saying that he eats better than I do. I come home to a fit, happy g-man ass wag ™ and it’s all worth it. He used to eat to live, and now he lives to eat.

And if it’s sticking it to people like Iams in the process, it makes me that much happier.

[link via Cranky Chick]

Nick February 9, 2004 at 3:44 pm

I had a cat when I was a kid.

Dolly, she was a persian/siamese/himalayan mix. Violent as a bitch can get.

She died when she was hit by a car for the third time.

My sister and I rushed her to the 24 hour vet, he said it was lights out, her spine was crushed there was nothing he could do.

His exact quote was “It’s a shame to see an animal so young die so soon”.

By inspecting Dolly he thought she was between 3 – 6 years old.

She died a month before she turned 22.

She never ate an ounce of cat food in her life.

Paul February 9, 2004 at 3:46 pm

That’s ironical.

I finally figured out WTF that thing is on your Domokun page and what the tagline means. And today you post about PETA.

What about the kittens?!

Anyway.

jay February 9, 2004 at 4:21 pm

Don’t believe everything you read because there are two sides to the story. A person I know wrote to Iams about said cruelty. Iams wrote back (not a canned letter) and said that it was an outside hired contractor and they did a suprise inspection on the facility and stopped doing business with them. They also when on to say they inspected other facilities and were changing who they selected to do research to keep it closer to the company so incidents like this wont happen again.

Also just because Proctor & Gamble (who owns Iams) name is behind it doesnt mean that other pet food companies aren’t benefitting from the same testing because info like that is sold to other companies, you just hear about the big guy.

I know several people who feed their dogs the BARF diet and who do quiet well on it. But there are also plenty of high quality dog foods out there that I’m sure you never heard of either that are way above the levels of Iams. If you know what to look for on dog food labels you can get a decent food. Dont even bother looking at things like Alpo and Dog Chow because they are the worst. Yet growing up I had a Beagle that lived 14 years on Dog Chow, but that was before all these health studies.

Also lastly it depends what works for your dog. You obviously saw a problem with Gromit and found what works with him. I got Cody from the track (where they are on a raw diet) and put him on Iams because thats a good transition food from the track. I tried switching him to a higher quality food but his poops became very soft and he was not regular any more, plus he began to shed more (greyhounds shed very little). So back on the Iams he went, shedding stopped, firm poops and he’s on schedule. Not to say I wont try a different food eventually but for now hes on Iams and doing well.

Hope this didnt come off as flame because it wasn’t I was just sharing some knowledge I have and giving a different side to the story.

corgibuddy February 9, 2004 at 4:38 pm

Big Hugs to Gromit…and to you Statia. I agree with you that at times pet owners are truly at a loss on who to believe in terms of what companies are saying in regards to their pet foods (and how tests are done involving those foods and research, etc.). It is heartbreaking what goes on in the name of science at times, but I agree with the other commenter that there are also two sides to every story. It’s just difficult to know who to believe, and no matter what, harming animals will always be wrong in my opinion.

We certainly have learned by trial and error as well with our own pets in what to feed. And it really upsets me to think that the foods offered via the pet food companies and corporations that own them, aren’t doing the right thing in terms of providing healthful food for consumers without abusive scientific measures to come to those standards. I’m in shock and just wish there were other options.
Hugs to you for being brave and posting this information along with your opinions on it. I think it is important to get the word out there.

Michelle “corgibuddy”

fran February 9, 2004 at 5:21 pm

I haven’t owned a dog in years, and we used to feed those dogs we owned when I was kid, dog food. I am amazed to learn this stuff. I had no idea and now I am glad that I do because I might (might not, still debating) be owning a dog again. Thanks a bunch Statia. :D

Erin February 9, 2004 at 8:22 pm

My shih-tzu is turning 15 next month and our vet says that she is in “remarkable” health for a dog her age. I feed her a mixture of ground chicken, rice, and peas. I have her entire life. I tried her on IAMS/Eukanuba when I got her and she was miserable.

Jenniy February 9, 2004 at 10:00 pm

I have a black lab as well. I’ve had a hard time finding appropriate food for him as well. When he was younger (he’s now 8) I could leave his food bowl full all day and he would over eat, but then when he was about 3 he started inhaling his food (I’m not kidding like 2 full scoops in 30 seconds) and not even chewing. He gained tons of weight and I put him on special diet food, but then he was allergic to it and got severe ear infections constantly from it. Ended up feeding him $70 PER BAG food for several months until his infections went away and could put him on something else. Now I feed him 1 scoop of dog food and 1 can of green beans twice a day. The vet said the green beans are good for controlling weight and he loves them!

Dee February 9, 2004 at 10:04 pm

wow! hey, thanks for the eye opener! I never knew any of this stuff – I was just as snowed as the rest of the country about *pet foods*. I had NO idea…

Camille February 9, 2004 at 10:50 pm

Very interesting post. I’ve had dogs all my life, and we were always taught not to feed them “people” food so they wouldn’t beg. I think its interesting what you said about your research on feeding Gromit people food, and how much healthier and prettier his coat is. I’ll have to keep this in mind should we get a lab as Josh wants to do in the near future. Thanks.

livie February 9, 2004 at 11:46 pm

my first bichon frise died at age 7 from a tumor, most likely caused by science diet dog food. the bichon we have now we feed Wysong dog food, which is rated very highly in comparison to all others, but Bella doesnt like eating it without some ground beef in it as well….She’s still a chunk though!

stinkerbell February 10, 2004 at 5:39 am

did the raw diet (BARF) with my monster (a border terrier- make that terrorist). never was a chunk- far from it. he was a rescue/rehome due to behavioral issues and the change to raw also seemed to calm him down.

I also fork over because 1. He is worth it and 2. I am not interested processing chicken backs or anything else like that. (I have this think with raw meat- kinda funny considering my family owned a cattle ranch)

There are whole groups on it and me I went the organic route. Had a great store in my neighborhood for it. I also lived in hippie-land Seattle.

sphinxy February 10, 2004 at 9:22 am

I would think balls of tin foil would be worse than dog food. But, what do I know.

*snicker*

emily February 10, 2004 at 10:54 am

I’d love to put my pets on a better diet, but it’s just too hard. As it is they aren’t even on a schedule, they’re grazers, which means they can eat as much as they want all day long. So far it’s worked very well and none of them are overweight. I’ve got 5 cats and 3 dogs and I tried feeding them seperately, but the dogs eat the cat food and vice versa so I started mixing them together. *sigh*

Kevin February 11, 2004 at 11:49 am

But the dogs in the commercial are so…happy! :-)

I agree that most dog foods are crap. There are some out there (not mass market) that are pretty good, but I would think that a consistently good diet as described would always be better.

Personally, I’m on a Doritos & Pizza diet right now – with some Buffalo Wings thrown in. I’m thinking that the dogs probably should stay off of that one. :-)