Best in Show

by statia on February 10, 2004

Ever since I was about 18, I’ve wanted a Newfoundland. I love big dogs. I knew of someone who had one when I was in high school, and he was just the most gentle thing. Everyone said they drool, but I didn’t care. They drool a lot. And then they drool some more. It’s definitely a breed type that you need to have a tolerance for messiness. A current friend of mine has one named Seamus. He’s so sweet, and lovable. The drool freaked me out more than I thought it would. I saw my friend literally reach in his mouth and pull out a handful of drool like it was no big deal. *shudders*. Not that I love the breed or Seamus any less, but reaching into a dogs mouth to get spit? Huh uh. It definitely takes a special person.

I was still extremely happy to see “Josh” take Best in Show at Westminster this year. I’m so sick of poodles winning.

Maybe one day I’ll get over that much drool and hair. After all, with g-man, I’m halfway there.

Angry Pete February 10, 2004 at 11:29 pm

Have you ever seen a Bouvier des Flandres? Those things are friggin huge. My mom’s best friend had one, and standing in it’s hind legs, it was at least 8′ tall. They look like giant labs with a really shaggy coat. I’m personally scared to death of big dogs. Like, anything bigger than a small lab.

corgibuddy February 10, 2004 at 11:42 pm

I agree…the win for “Josh” the Newfie was great. :)

Of course, I was rooting for the welsh corgis and basset hound since those are the types of dogs we have, but there was no doubting that the Newfoundland was absolutely gorgeous. :)

Big Hugs to Gromit tonight. I’m sure he wins “Best In Show” in your heart. ;)

Have a great night. :)

Sean February 11, 2004 at 12:34 am

I say….PAPILLION. (I shout it every time I see one on TV…strange but I can’t help it. It’s an automatic response).

Unique breed. Mine looked a little different than most. Super active, sporty and smart….I miss her…

livie February 11, 2004 at 1:27 am

I LOVE Newfoundlands. They are so sweet and gorgeous, and humble for their size. I am so excited to see one win! But i’m pissed I missed the show, I always look for the bomb-ass Bichons who steal the show.

stinkerbell February 11, 2004 at 4:15 am

Newfies are sweet put the amount of slobber is terrifying. they are also quite unaware of their size.

Kinda funny how that goes. Small dog Napoleon complex Big dog trying to fit in the squirrel hole :)

sphinxy February 11, 2004 at 11:48 am

Like Sean up there I watch for the Papillon…but that’s just me being biased.

My friend has 2 Newfoundlands as does my neighbor across the street. They look sweet but I have never wanted to pet them or be near them. I can’t take the drool factor. But they are very sweet dogs.

Ari Devin February 11, 2004 at 12:36 pm

Myself,

I love all dogs. However I have an effection for the daschund, and the English Springer Spaniels. I have one of both. http://www.ariandamber.com/Daisy%20and%20Stanley.htm. They are both so lovable. I will agree that Newfoundland puppy was a ham. Thats what you love about dogs. Such characters and such unconditional love.

As for Drool, the English SPringer has the same problem, but you get used to it after a while.

Stacey February 11, 2004 at 1:42 pm

I had a yellow Lab named Clyde, and when he was done drinking water or eating anything, Id have to wipe his chops with a paper towel. If I didn’t, Id get a strand of disgusting drool on my leg.

David February 11, 2004 at 2:15 pm

my uncle jon had a basset hound (ironically named flash) who was a freaking saliva factory. since bassets are so close to the ground, he often left a trail of drool when he walked around the house…it was so gross. I loved that dog!

Darren February 11, 2004 at 7:00 pm

That dog was just plain awesome!!

Pauly D February 11, 2004 at 7:54 pm

I love those shows, not to mention ALL of Animal Planet. You gotta love the acrobatic dog shows where they’re running through the tunnels, over the see-saws, and over the hurdles. It’s amazing how much fun the dogs have with that. Yeeee-hah!

I’d love to see people do something like that.

Brandy February 12, 2004 at 12:42 am

Josh was great! He and Coco were my picks, and I was actively sending “do not win” vibes to Miki the poodle. My husband kept laughing at my comments about the poodle, but I just didn’t want to watch a standard poodle win yet another best of show. They always seem to win when I watch the shows.

sean February 17, 2004 at 11:10 am

My mom has three Newfs and they do not drool much. I mean, they don’t drip or anything. I think keeping the coat trimmed helps.

Christine February 19, 2004 at 1:05 am

Josh is fabulous! And I totally agree, everytime one of those poodles wins, I get violent…
I’m all about the B I G dogs