Let’s get drunk and screw

by statia on January 30, 2004

I’m opening up a can of worms here. I know, I know, you’re surprised. I’ve done it before, when I told you guys that I just didn’t get Monty Python. I don’t really even like MP.

You know what else I don’t like?

Jimmy Buffet, and Kids in the Hall. That’s right, I said it. I don’t like Jimmy Buffet. In fact, his music actually grates on my nerves.

I’m prepared for the hate mail.

Angry Pete January 30, 2004 at 3:08 pm

I hate the Kids in the Hall too. But the State kind of ruined me on them. They were a billion times funnier than KITH.

emily January 30, 2004 at 3:09 pm

You’re evil and I hate you. You’re just a Buffetist. :P

fran January 30, 2004 at 3:09 pm

We must be related.

I like neither and I don’t really think Monty Python is all that funny either.

Each is really an aquired taste though, that’s why they each have their fans, but as artists/entertainment they are not huge compared to other artists/entertainment….

buddha January 30, 2004 at 3:14 pm

You hate Buffet? So I guess you hate Summer, warm temperatures, sun and fun.

Buffet is the essence of summer and fun. Basically you are a sun and fun hater!!..

Lisa January 30, 2004 at 3:20 pm

I also hate Jimmy Buffet’s music, Monty Python and Kids in the Hall. Add to that I hate the Beatles, Led Zepplin, KISS and I’ve never seen an episode of “Friends”, “Survivor” or “American Idol” and I am the epitome of evil.

emily January 30, 2004 at 3:23 pm

Oh, and as a followup, I love Monty Python, but Buffet really is Satan.

David January 30, 2004 at 3:25 pm

i love monty python, but british humor isnt for everyone…i liked the kids in the hall too, but i dont particularly care for jimmy buffett, so im with you on that

kat January 30, 2004 at 3:26 pm

*sqwauk* Better watch it girl. Them parrot heads are a nasty bunch when provoked and drunk. Good thing you went back home and said this and not while you were in Fla. ;)

kellen January 30, 2004 at 3:37 pm

jimmy buffet’s not so cool. and a lot of the KITH stuff is overrated anyway.

but monty python is still wicked cool!

mikey January 30, 2004 at 3:38 pm

Buffett? *yawn*. never seen KitH, and i really have no desire to, either. no hate mail from me.

but wait, you like Creed, right? Creed sucks! S-U-C-K-S!

robyn January 30, 2004 at 3:41 pm

Todd can’t stand Buffett either — I haven’t really been able to listen to any of my CDs since we’ve been married (almost 8 years). Do you possibly know how hard it is to live on the Gulf coast under those circumstances? Oh well, at least he likes to eat/drink at Margaritaville — and I did talk him into having our wedding reception there!

Now as for KITH — the later seasons pretty much sucked, but damn — how could you not appreciate skits like “Why did they have to take the word gay?

Sarah January 30, 2004 at 4:13 pm

If Jimmy Buffet was suddenly struck mute, I’d throw a dead-parrot party. And everyone would have to bring one, pound it on a counter, and proclaim, “That parrot is no more!!!” And I’d laugh my ass off.

And you would probably tell me I’m lame.

Paul January 30, 2004 at 4:23 pm

Python was funny… when I was a kids watching them on PBS.

Hate Buffett.

Miss KITH – but not as much as Family Guy! Come on January ’05!

And what did anyone find funny about Strangers with Candy anyway?

Michael January 30, 2004 at 5:15 pm

Boy, people really align into those “love/hate” lines pretty quickly don’t they!

Love (in no particular order): MP, KitH, Buffet (Jimmy and all-you-can-eat, not Warren), Fawlty Towers, John Cleese, Benny Hill, Bands Reunited, “Here’s Your Sign”

Hate (also in no particular order): Strangers with Candy, Ab Fab, Buffet (Warren, not those others), American Idol (and most other reality/contest shows except for Joe Schmo), sizeists (oh, wait, that’s not here…sorry, forget that)

As an aside, a local Phoenix radio station periodically has “American Midol” where women call in to relate their best PMS story. “I don’t care who you are, that there is funny!”

Mike January 30, 2004 at 7:13 pm

Monty Python is an aquired taste. Mine is probably hereditary (my father and I recite full sketches to each other while my mother tries not to throw something).

Kids in the Hall I’ve always been a fan of, but also agree that their stuff is not for everyone (robyn: (paraphrased)”A faggot used to be a little bundle of sticks…now it’s altogether different to say ‘Let’s throw another faggot on the fire’.”).

Buffet I could take or leave.

Lewis Black and Eddie Izzard everyone should try.

Pamela January 30, 2004 at 7:20 pm

Office of the silly walks

fran January 31, 2004 at 12:13 am

On the other hand, Mikey is right, Creed does suck monkey balls. They are neither original nor compelling. It’s still an enigma to me as to why people listen to them….they’ll be gone for good in a few years though, thankfully…

statia January 31, 2004 at 8:26 am

Jeeeeeez, Mikey makes it seems like I have posters of Creed on my walls. I liked a couple of their songs. I didn’t say I was in love with them. Besides, he likes Avril Lavigne fa chrissake.

Adelle January 31, 2004 at 9:54 am

Nope, do not get into MP or Buffet. But I am concerned with the person who does not like the Beatles….

michele January 31, 2004 at 10:15 am

Love MP and KiTH.

HATE Buffet. That’s capital letter HATE. Do not see the attraction at all.

Strangers with Candy? Worst show ever. That chick was cringe worthy.

A Small Victory January 31, 2004 at 10:35 am

Open Discussion: love/hate relationships

Ok, so this mono thing is worse than I thought it would be. I should have listened to all the advice. As such, I will be on the couch for most of the day and will not be blogging. However,…

munin January 31, 2004 at 11:00 am

but… but.. *sputter* Kids in the hall?!? Though i should admit i haven’t seen of their new stuff, I stopped watching a few years ago. So truly, I can’t say anything with regards to your statement. :o )
And i don’t think i have ever heard anything by Jimmy Buffet. *blush*

Sketches of Strain-Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow January 31, 2004 at 12:43 pm

I Could Run With This All Day

Michele is continuing a string begun by Statia which poses the question, what do you love that other people hate? What do you love that other people hate? What do I hate that other people love? Baby pictures. What do…

Mr. E. February 1, 2004 at 2:32 pm

KItH never did it for me, actually. Buffet is rather like rum; I enjoy him in the right context, and only in moderation. The same is true of John Denver, though.

But while we are making confessions, I haven’t watched an entire episode of Saturday Night Live since they got rid of Jane Curtain, Danny Akroyd, and John Belushi. I include the Eddie Murphy days, Stuart Smalley, the Spartan Cheerleaders, and anything else they ever tried.

Kevin February 2, 2004 at 4:27 am

I dig Buffett, but mostly the older stuff. A lot of the 90′s Buffett was/is crap. The best part of Buffett is having a “legit” reason to leave work at noon on concert day and sit with a couple thousand people & drink/smoke/eat. It’s one of the best days of the year.

Some people focus on the music & some people focus on the booze. I guess I focus on the dream that every day doesn’t have to rat race & there is somewhere out there that is completely lost to the rest of the world.

Maybe it would lose some of it’s appeal if there were better reasons to dress up & get blasted in a parking lot, but there aren’t enough “escape reality” opportunities these days.