We’re cookin’…… with gas, it’s natural

by statia on December 16, 2003

Yesterday I got my second electric bill since moving. Everything is electric, except for my heat, which is gas, which I didn’t realize at first. I’m so used to having electric everything. My bill last month was about 92 bucks. Which is fine. Not a big deal. This month, my electric bill was 221 bucks. I did a double take at first, thinking that my payment had somehow crossed in the mail, and that the difference was my actual bill. I inspected the statement a bit further and notice that they had recieved my payment. I’m seeing the breakdown, of the bill, but it isn’t registering, that my heat is gas. I know the boys downstairs have a gas stove and I thought maybe they mixed our bills up.

After a few calls, I realize that is my bill, and I start to freak the fuck out. There is no way, that my little 800 square foot apartment (if that) is costing me $148 worth of gas for a month. Especially when it’s just me, and I rarely use my heat. I have a little space heater that I use if I get cold. Here I am stressing. It’s the holidays, I’m broke as hell, and now I have a $221 utility bill. Good thing they can’t shut off my power during the winter.

Here, I come to realize that it’s an estimated reading. Who the hell estimates that high of a reading for an apartment that size? I called the asshats at Peco and told them that there’s no reason for them to estimate that high and that I would like them to promply hurry their asses out here and give me an actual reading.

They can kiss my ass if they think they’re getting anymore money out of me.

Brian December 16, 2003 at 4:14 pm

Good lord woman – that’s INSANE! Maybe you should find out if PG&E here in California has been calulating your bill – or maybe the southwestern utility companies that were caught severely gouging California back not so long ago…

tony December 16, 2003 at 4:43 pm

join the club. the listing for my apartment said “heating included”, and the guy that leased it to me said that it was on a boiler system, so that was taken care of. windows are drafty as hell, but I kept the thermostat at 80ish, cause I’m not paying for it, right?

wrong. $176 and I’m in the same crappy phone call cycle you’re in. they even gave me the estimated thing, too. though I think they told me that since I used so little two months ago, they estimated on that, then this month the reading came in and was sky high, so they had to make up for it. have fun with that!

kat December 16, 2003 at 4:46 pm

Sounds like FPL. Estimate schmestimate. get out here and read the damn thing. Do not pay until they read it and if they refuse to come read it, call your local public utilities commission and bitch up a storm.

Adelle December 16, 2003 at 5:35 pm

I had the same problem, got pissed off, and switched companies.

sphinxy December 16, 2003 at 6:27 pm

Oh good! I was wondering about that. I hate when they estimate it and they get all cocky about it. Fuck off Peco.

Pamela December 16, 2003 at 7:07 pm

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away…
Make mine a double nutmeg…

buddha December 16, 2003 at 8:52 pm

Yikes..Here I thought that the bill I just got for $168 was on the “much” side. I’m not going to complain anymore. Hope the Peco asshats get it straightened out for you..

robyn December 17, 2003 at 4:59 am

Oh God. Memories of Peco come flooding back now…

Sean December 17, 2003 at 7:56 am

I just received a $295 cell phone bill yesterday. There is NO freaking way that is write. I’ve actually found them to be wrong before and I certainly hope they are this time….fuckers…

travis December 17, 2003 at 9:11 am

there are plenty of other ways to produce your own gas. natural ways.

Ari Devin December 17, 2003 at 9:22 am

Hey,

Just an FYI, in many states there are laws on the book that a Utility company can not give you estimates in consecutive months. If they do do so, you can get a refund for the initial estimate that you paid.

Stephanie December 17, 2003 at 11:23 am

Sorry to laugh, but “asshat?” Funny as hell!

The electric bills out the ass were what drove us from our last place. The only way we brought them down during the winter was by shutting off major appliances (when not in use, of course) at the breaker box. It’s primitive, and only about 2 rungs above warming yourself over a blazing barrel, but it prevents the meter from “reading” them when they’re not doing anything more than sitting there. The asshats are still inevitable, but at least this method brings next month’s bill down a bit.

And if you want, I can still Fedex my old barrel now that we’re done with it… our new place is much more reasonable to heat.

Mike December 17, 2003 at 2:29 pm

The electric company used to estimate our bill at our college apartment and one month it would be a couple hundred dollars and the next month it be hardly anything. A few times, we actually had a credit the next month because the first bill covered the second month and part of the third month, which would usually be an estimate again, and way high. Whoever figures out the estimates for these companies must be complete fucktards.

munin December 17, 2003 at 3:09 pm

Holy smokers girl, that’s just insane. I never quite figured out where gas companies get their estimates from. i think a bunch of ‘em sit around talking the shit that they do and come up with a number at random. Though i could be totally wrong on that account, but it sure as hell feels like that’s the way they do it. Hope it sorts itself out soon.