Visions of Sugar Plums

by statia on December 12, 2003

Most of the time, Christmas brings all warm fuzzies of all things relating to Christmas. Eating candy canes until your teeth broke, fresh pine smell, Christmas cookies. There’s nothing bad about Christmas food…. or is there?

I hate eggnog. Not just hate it, I mean I fucking hate eggnog. It makes me gag just thinking of the smell. People gasp in “shock and awe” when they hear this.

There was a time, in my life that I loved eggnog. When I was about five. That all changed when I totally OD’d on it (non alchohlic of course). I remember it like it was yesterday. My cousin Tereza was over that year, and we were drinking it by the carton. I think I just hit that point where now I cringe even thinking of having to drink it.

I’m sure there’s at least one holiday food that we can’t stand.

And fruitcake doesn’t count as an answer.

Sarah December 12, 2003 at 10:17 am

Eggnog is on my list. And pumpkin fucking pie. That shit is fucking nasty.

Antgrad December 12, 2003 at 10:21 am

Brussel Sprouts!! I HATE Brussel Sprouts!!

Lisa December 12, 2003 at 10:27 am

I hate mince pie. Does anyone like it? I like eggnog. And custard pie. Don’t like brussels sprouts either. :P

David December 12, 2003 at 10:54 am

my brother once gave me 25 dollars to drink 3 year old egg nog…god that was so fucking gross…but i won the bet!

Veshka December 12, 2003 at 10:54 am

Yeah, a ton of eggnog will do that to you… My least favorite holiday food would have to be something my Grandmother makes – rasin cookies. I HATE rasins! Oh, and those green, mint flavored jelly beans. You have the red, cherry ones, and the white, cream soda or coconut flavored ones. WTF’s with the mint?

Scarlett December 12, 2003 at 11:13 am

I am with you on the eggnog, and boiled custard comes in a close second. I generally like most other holiday foods, however, what is with everyone thinking they have to make soggy, squishy, runny casseroles for every single get together. Why can’t we just have normal foods, cooked in a normal fashion, I think we would all be much happier. Merry Christmas!!

buddha December 12, 2003 at 11:22 am

We get boxes and boxes of chocolate from clients here at the pit. If there is one thing I just can’t stand is chocolate with orange cream or that gelatinus stuff in the middle…aaackkk!!

fran December 12, 2003 at 11:28 am

I never cared for eggnog either but that’s because I grew up in Mexico where is not as big as it is here. When I moved to the states, the thought of drinking that stuff just did not appeal to me. Anything egg related goes in my omellete, not in a glass for drinking, thank you very much.

And Fruit cake? Yuck!

mikey December 12, 2003 at 12:20 pm

i hate eggnog. i hate pumpkin pie. i hate fruitcake.

just in case y’all are wondering, i hate girl scout cookies, too.

sphinxy December 12, 2003 at 12:27 pm

You hate eggnog? Heh. I’ll buy extra just for you this year.

jen December 12, 2003 at 1:10 pm

eggnog doesn’t bother me, but i usually have about HALF alcohol and half eggnog, so that takes care of the taste.

most disgusting holiday food? JELLO MOLDS. especially the ones in lime green with little marshmellows…blech.

Buddha's Den December 12, 2003 at 2:20 pm

She started it…I’m finishing it..

She started it this morning by making mention of holiday foods that want to make you hurl. I’m taking it one step further by mentioning a particular food that makes me want to curl up in the fetal position…

Buddha's Den December 12, 2003 at 2:20 pm

She started it…I’m finishing it..

Buddha's Den December 12, 2003 at 2:20 pm

She started it…I’m finishing it..

Buddha's Den December 12, 2003 at 2:20 pm

She started it…I’m finishing it..

Jonathan December 12, 2003 at 2:31 pm

Any kind of cranberry stuff that comes in a can. Ham.

gojou December 12, 2003 at 3:00 pm

I’ve a story which involves eating too much holiday fudge, but better to keep the deets to myself — they’re pretty gruesome.

I still love fudge, though.

nastybastard December 12, 2003 at 4:52 pm

I’m not too fond of eggnog either. Like you, I used to love it when I was little but then something changed. Everyone says that you have to have cranberry sauce for thanksgiving, and I don’t like that either — or stuffing (unless it has a shitload of gravy on it.)

Pamela December 12, 2003 at 8:58 pm

The only thing good about eggnog is the nutmeg buzz.
Mince pies… What is mince, anyway?
And no, I will definately pass on those nasty candied red and green cherries, either.
Pass the roast beast.

robyn December 13, 2003 at 6:53 am

Mother tries to comfort me;
She says “Here, Son, have some eggnog.”

But I fucking hate eggnog, seriously.

tj December 13, 2003 at 8:59 am

not me, i LOVE eggnog. i’ll have your eggnog. in fact i’m getting the eggnog, eggnog, eggnog, eggnog, eggnog, eggnog, baked beans, eggnog, and eggnog!

BSTommy December 13, 2003 at 1:53 pm

I can’t stand to even smell egg nog.

A co-worker brought a quart with him for lunch the other day. Drank it down and wished for more.

I try not to let what other people do bother me, but the smell coated the break area. I had to leave.

How can people drink it?

The taste is bad enough.

I can’t imagine downing an entire glass of something the same texture as your own snot.

kellen December 13, 2003 at 3:55 pm

reminds me of the time i was a hired caroller on a trolley for the town “chain of lights” event. so many people just liked the trolley that they wouldn’t get off and i had to beg and plead and tell them to get off at the lovely stops to see all the xmas goodies. as we paused at a dairy, i started extolling the wonders of the marvellously gorgeous tasty eggnog (which i HATE with a passion), and quietly asked another staffer to bring me some water because i was so dry. they brought me eggnog in front of everyone. i HAD to drink it, to prove they should get off and try some. UGH.

Ro December 13, 2003 at 10:32 pm

my five year old loves eggnog ( I think the name itself intrigues her) but I cant stomache it. blech!

corgibuddy December 14, 2003 at 1:53 pm

Along with egg-nog, add in chocolate covered cherries. I used to love them, but after eating a ton of them once, the gooey confection grossed me out royally (especially on the way back up…URRGHHH), and if you ever get one with a pit still inside….UGGGHHHHH! LOL

Seth December 15, 2003 at 1:44 pm

I’m going to have to agree with Antgrad on this one.

Lisa December 16, 2003 at 6:15 pm

You know, I never knew, but mincemeat really has meat in it! Yuck. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/9522/mincemeat.html

Kelly December 18, 2003 at 10:20 am

I could maybe survive a glass of eggnog if it were, say, one part eggnog, two parts ice and four parts rum. But, then again, no.