I wanna run through the halls of my high school

by statia on December 1, 2003

Friday was my ten year high school reunion. I was really on the fence about going the whole time. I payed for the seat, but I still wasn’t convinced that I wanted to go. I was pretty much like this right up until I got in the car and at least halfway up the turnpike driving in the pouring rain. I don’t know why. A good bit of me has just buried memories of high school, and for no certain reason. I had lots of friends, I had a good time. Maybe it’s because I’ve changed so much, and there’s a good bit of people that don’t change at these things. That’s not saying that no one has changed. Some people have grown up, and some haven’t. It’s the plain and simple fact of life. I think that part of it has to also do with the fact that I’ve always hated my hometown. I moved there during my formative years. I didn’t want to move, and I was so angry at my parents for sticking me in the middle of nowhere. I was eager to move out, and move somewhere that I could thrive and keep busy. In doing that, I cut myself off from that town, and in hindsight, it wasn’t healthy. I had no reason to, except that it was boring to me. Even realizing this, I still don’t understand the people who have stayed there. Who haven’t felt the need to get out, and live somewhere else, just to see what it’s like.

Understand that friends come and go,
but for the precious few you should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle
because the older you get,
the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Sometimes, I really need to make various song lyrics words to live by.

The only word I can describe my reunion as is surreal. It was like everything happened in slow motion, yet the night whizzed by. It was like a prom where you’re married and are able to drink. I also like to refer to it as the “Who got fat, who got bald tour 03″. I was pleasantly surprised to see some people that I didn’t expect to see there. I didn’t even think about them, let alone expect to see them there. That was really cool. I forgot how much fun we used to have. It was nice to catch up, and see what people were up to now, and of course, take that trip down memory lane.

But trust me on the sunscreen?

Stephanie December 1, 2003 at 12:02 pm

Mine was the very same night but, as you might have imagined, I didn’t make the trek back east to see people I haven’t seen in 5-10 years. We had a mini-reunion in 1998, just 2 months before I moved to the west coast, and it was kinda surreal but definitely not to the degree it would have been if I’d waited until 10 years had passed.
It sounds like yours was fun and, dare I say, comfortable. That’s really great!

Sassy McSmartpants December 1, 2003 at 12:20 pm

I wanna scream at the top of my lungs.

sledge December 1, 2003 at 3:06 pm

I skipped both my five and ten year reunions and from what I heard, I didn’t miss much. In other words, it was just like being back in high school, where everyone stuck to their own clique during the reunion.

I always hated that crap, and have kept in touch with the few people I actually liked/were above that crap from school.

robyn December 1, 2003 at 8:58 pm

I did the website for my school’s 10-year reunion but didn’t attend. In the end they decided to hold it at the local VFW (small Oklahoma town over 2 hours away from any city with a population of over 25,000) — rather than at the mansion they’d originally rented. We decided it wasn’t worth the $600 in airfare alone for a VFW affair. Can’t say I’ve regretted it. Glad you had a nice time though!

fran December 2, 2003 at 1:35 pm

Sounds pleasant.

But damn, I am glad I skipped High School and went straight to Junior College at the tender age of 14 instead….

I want to get a wedgie from the seniors what?

jim December 2, 2003 at 1:56 pm

it’s always good to look back…especially if its at a disaster.

Brian December 2, 2003 at 3:59 pm

Hmmm… High School Reunions. I went back to my 5th, skipped my 10th. Don’t think I missed much this last time around. My experience was pretty much like sledge’s – high school all over again, except with (legal) drinking. Same cliques, same “holier than thou” attitudes.

Kinda funny because I was just talking about reunions with a co-worker the other week. Same story with her too. Flying back to New England to deal with a bunch of people who haven’t (philosophically) changed at all isn’t my idea of the best use of cross-country airfare, rental car costs, etc.

I kept in touch with my best friends, and plus I keep my contact info up to date with my alumni associations for both high school and college in case somebody wants to find me.