Grind my gears

by statia on December 17, 2003

You know what really just grinds me? When people don’t take the time and courtesy to make sure that your name is spelled correctly. I can see if you’ve never seen the spelling of my name, and I’ll admit that it’s different, but when you do it repeatedly, it makes me want to give you a good ass kicking, repeatedly.

There are people in my office that constantly spell it Stacia, instead of Statia. I’ve been here for over two years now. How hard is it to check and make sure if you’re spelling it properly. I had one girl at an old job of mine who was Polish and insisted that it should be spelled Stacia. My grandmother spelled my name Statia, and the name was passed onto me. It’s spelled that way on my birth certificate. Therefor, learn how to spell it.

Dammit.

matt December 17, 2003 at 12:39 pm

my wife has the same problem. i have seen it spelled rena, renne, renay, rene. it’s renee and after the first few times you correct someone it should be fine, but some people just don’t get it.

corgibuddy December 17, 2003 at 12:44 pm

I completely agree! I’ve had family members for years spell my name wrong, and it just get’s plain insulting. I mean, yes, there are a few ways to spell Michelle (usually with one L or two…mine takes two), but when you are a family member, you should know how to spell a relatives name! Geez! LOL

Stephanie December 17, 2003 at 12:46 pm

Kinda reminds me of the pain I used to endure with *our* maiden name. The new one really is an improvement, believe me!

statia December 17, 2003 at 12:58 pm

Don’t even get me started on our maiden name Stephanie. It’s the main reason why I decided to keep my married name after I got divorced. You have no idea the crap I endured in high school with the first and last name.

tricia December 17, 2003 at 1:09 pm

I hate when people screw up my name. My name isn’t as hard as yours… Someone once told me I was spelling Tricia wrong, they said it should be spelled with an s, like Trisha. I don’t understand the problem. All I did was take the Pa off of Patricia, what’s the big deal? Why can’t people understand that??

Oh, and yeah, you totally got screwed with your first name and your maiden name. Badly. haha

Stephanie December 17, 2003 at 1:55 pm

Not in high school, no – my friends weren’t nearly as creative as yours. But I swear that between telemarketers and corporate America they go out searching for opportunities to fuck up your name. I think you, me and Tricia need to commiserate over some hard liquor – especially with how this day is going.

Adelle December 17, 2003 at 2:41 pm

Don’t I know what you are saying!!! The worst is when they reply to an email and my damn name is right there in front of them!!!

I also hate people mispronouncing my name. They say “add-uh-lay.” I so want to smack them then!

buddha December 17, 2003 at 2:42 pm

Not so much the spelling of my name but rather the misinterpretation of it. You know what my “real” name is. Pretty simple wouldn’t you say. Clients and an array of other people call me Steven.
I don’t get it. Honestly…

jason December 17, 2003 at 2:45 pm

Do you spell ‘therefor’ that way intentionally too?

Ok. Feel free to smack me. :)

jason December 17, 2003 at 2:47 pm

PS. I’ve got a last name that ryhmes with a somewhat common word. I’ve learned over the years that if I’m picking something up, or have a reservation or something and they can’t find my name to always ask for the the wrong spelling. 99% of the time they have that, even when I spelled my name out for them, which I always do.

paul December 17, 2003 at 3:00 pm

My last name is C-o-x. Simple, right?

I remember checking out one time and the girl asked me for my last name I said ‘Cox’. She comes right back with “How do you spell that?… C-o-c-k-s?” I just sat there and waited for it – 2… 3… 4… “OH MY GOD?! ” Yeah, it’s just C-o-x. Thanks.

Double-bonus: My’s dad’s business trip partner for years had the last name Seaman. Did they ever catch hell!

tj December 17, 2003 at 3:39 pm

you’re complaining to ME?!? t.j. … how hard is that? i’ve actually SEEN people spell it “teejay”. f-ing morons.

Brian December 17, 2003 at 4:05 pm

Curiously, my parents picked my sister’s and my names because they couldn’t be easily deconstructed, abused or otherwise molested. I think they did that as a way to make up for the fact that our family name sounds just like a first name but spelled completely differently (and certainly not intuitively enough). Between the myriad of mispronounciations and “Wait – is that your first name or last name?” episodes (whenever I verbally give my full name), I am thankful.

And then there are the freaks out there who think it’s acceptable to spell Brian with a “y”! (JK)

ericalynn December 17, 2003 at 4:54 pm

lol. People will come up with all sorts of ways to spell my name except how it’s actually spelled. although at least when you say your name, people don’t respond with a different name… this conversation is very common:

person: what’s your name?
me: ericalynn
person: ok erica.
me: no, ericalynn.
person: didn’t i just say that??

Pamela December 17, 2003 at 5:53 pm

I can totally relate. Being a “Mac” not a “Mc” seems simple enough to differentiate, but here in Japan, no dice. Proper pronunciation of English names is so-oo wrong, you can’t know what creative liscense will be taken with spelling it.
I had 3 different versions of my name spelled incorrectly on ONE PAGE.
I should be happy for the publicity, but gee…
And don’t even get me started on what it SOUNDS like…

fran December 17, 2003 at 7:49 pm

Lots of people mispell francisco, some spell it fransisco, others francico. And I am named after a big and famous city. Go figure.

payada December 17, 2003 at 7:57 pm

I know how ya feel — at least you don’t have MY name…..gawd, how many times have I heard “wow, that’s a weird name” or “are you serious? that’s really your name?” (IDIOT!), or “so what’s your first name then?” And I won’t even get into my LAST name…

sphinxy December 17, 2003 at 7:58 pm

Hey Staceeeeeea…. haha. *grinds you*

todd December 17, 2003 at 7:58 pm

yah stacy that is so effin rude i mean geez what’s so hard about spelling a name you know is different. I often get Toed or Toad in IM/email msgs at work which are mainly typos anyways. But Tod just effin urks me to no end. It’s 2 D’s thankyouverymuch. Although I could have it worse. My Grandfather’s best friend since the Korean war is Dick Wad.

Spiderman December 18, 2003 at 12:01 am

Apparently someone spiked my snack pack again.

seamus December 18, 2003 at 12:11 am

yeah, my name is seamus, not only do people have trouble spelling it, but when people try to pronounce it, it can get ugly. it’s pronouced “shay-mus”, by the way…

Kathi December 18, 2003 at 6:26 am

Boy, do I know how you feel. I spell my first name differently (given to me by my mum and dad). I actually had one lady who argued with me about the spelling of my first name. LOL. Have a great one. Hugs.

Laura December 18, 2003 at 10:29 am

I’ve gotten the occasional Laurie instead of Laura, but it’s my daughter Kayley who constantly hears Kayla, Kaylynn, Kaitlyn, etc. And the few times we see her name on some personalized thing, it’s spelled Kaylee. I guess it’s my fault for not giving her a nice, neat name we could nab on a license plate at a gift shop in Disneyland. Oh well. I’d rather have my Kayley than a Jennifer or a Katie.

BTW, I used to work with a Stacia, and people always called her Stacie. Pissed her off big time!

sean December 18, 2003 at 10:59 am

“Is there a ‘Seen’ anywhere?”

miranda December 26, 2003 at 8:52 am

I am about to have a baby girl and want to name her Kayley do you think she will wish I would have named her something different or spelled the more common Kaylee