That Tamale isn’t hot

by statia on November 19, 2003

I’m seeing those Porsche Cayenne’s everywhere. Porsche should have no business making SUV’s. Save yourself the 40 grand and go buy a Touraeg.

tj November 19, 2003 at 1:35 pm

is that pronounced “twar-eg” or “tour-rag”?

buddha November 19, 2003 at 1:37 pm

Yes..but then I wouldn’t have the “Porsche” emblem.
That’s worth 40 g isn’t it?

dewnut November 19, 2003 at 1:39 pm

I agree… what the fuck? Next thing you will see is a Ferrari or a Lambo SUV.

-dew

sean November 19, 2003 at 2:33 pm

Actually, Lambo made an SUV a few years back.

Porsche freely admits they made it to be a cash cow. They need money to stay independent.

adi November 19, 2003 at 2:36 pm

Interesting that you picked first-year SUV offerings for their respective companies.

$40k extra gets you:
- That Porsche emblem, of course
- An extra ~150 lbs of torque
- An extra ~120hp
- ~2 full seconds faster to 60mph
- A top speed of ~160mph vs ~130mph

Mind you, most of the people you’re seeing with these things won’t use these capabilities anyways, but that’s the case with *most* SUV drivers (present company excluded of course, Statia :P ).

And while Porsche is a much more “attainable” car brand than Lamborghini or Ferrari, I’ll point out that the Lambo SUV has been out for a long time.

Davide November 19, 2003 at 5:19 pm

You Americans, buy Ferrari!

robyn November 19, 2003 at 5:47 pm

The Touareg is the only thing that could nudge me back in the SUV world again. Damn sticker shock…

the mighty jimbo November 19, 2003 at 7:39 pm

yeah but a vw can’t haul you and your friends down a fireroad at 140 MPH.

Johnnie Wadd November 19, 2003 at 10:40 pm

So like if I buy you one for x-mas, would you accept it? Turd-rags are glamorized grocery wagons for mommies on cafe latte enema’s. Oh, I will be late tomorrow, but we have a table by the window!! :) Dude, what’s my tattoo say? SCHWEET!!

Jonathan November 20, 2003 at 1:01 am

Porsche probably has as much business making SUVs as VW does. However, the Porsche is an incredible piece of engineering, whereas the Touraeg… is mostly just another SUV. It’s the difference between buying a Passat and a 911. Yeah, you can save money buying the Passat; but money isn’t usually the primary concern when you’re looking at a Porsche.

zeno November 20, 2003 at 12:17 pm

VW? Get a grip of yourself woman… what you want is THIS!

Zuly November 23, 2003 at 11:00 pm

My next car will be a Honda Pilot. It’s preordained. I have no choices. We’re a Honda family. It’s what happens when they all work for Honda.