Because I’m worth it

by statia on November 22, 2003

I’ve been wanting to go red for the longest time. I just have to find a shade that’s right for me, and then take it over to my salon. The only thing that’s stopping me is the expense. It’s a lot more to get your hair colored than it is to just get high/lowlights, which is what I get now. Probably because I’ll also want some dimension and highlights. This is going to be no easy task.

Of course, I could just dye it red myself. That’s what everyone is thinking.

That’d be a no. The last time I dyed my hair reddish, I totally screwed it up. I mean, really screwed it up. The year was 1995. I got it in my head that I was going to go and start experimenting with hair color. I got the color black cherry. After washing the color out (perfectly timed with an egg timer, thank you) and drying my hair to survey the damage results, the verdict was blue.

That’s right blue. Navy blue to be exact. Navy isn’t really a great color for hair. Besides the fashion police would have kicked my ass if I’d worn any black.

Anyone need help dying their hair?

Mac November 22, 2003 at 5:19 pm

OK, here’s the deal — if you reallllllly wanna go red and you’re dead broke, I’ll do it for you. Before I became independently wealthy [har har] I dyed my own hair for years and years. I can even give you low lights and high light, fo shizzle.

My secret shame: I can dye hair like a champ.

Lisa November 22, 2003 at 6:40 pm

The people at your salon can’t help you find the right red? I’m thinkin’ you should take Mac up on her offer. :) Take lots of pictures.

Pamela November 22, 2003 at 8:11 pm

Whatever you do- don’t “dye”! Permanent color is a mistake that will be very hard to change.
Go with a henna. It washes out, and is good for your hair, and it is not too expensive.
I am a blonde also, and I went red with henna. Lots of fun- with beet juice and cinnamon added- but white hats are out…

matt November 23, 2003 at 12:01 am

about this time 6 years ago i decided to go with a color called bordeaux. lets just say it came out bright red and stayed that way for over 6 months.

Nikki-ann November 23, 2003 at 8:05 am

I’ve always fancied colouring my hair, but I’m always scared it’ll turn a funny colour, since my natural colour is ginger(ish!). Good luck though, hope it turns out great.

kellen November 23, 2003 at 11:05 am

i went red a couple times, and i really really liked it. but definitley pick out a red that goes with your skin tone, or it just won’t work (i’m thinking of my “chocolate covered cherry” disaster). go to a nice salon and spend hours picking out the perfect color. :)

sphinxy November 23, 2003 at 5:06 pm

That’d be a no. You arent allowed anywhere near my head with dye. Though wayne could use some highlights…

Zuly November 23, 2003 at 10:58 pm

How far from Northern NJ are you? My stylist/colorist is the best, and she’s cheap. Everyone I send to her LOOOOOVES what they end up with. And she uses the really good Matrix colors,and will custom mix them for you. (She custom mixes mine.) Seriously, if it’s not that far for you, you could come up on a weekend and crash here and I’ll take you to her.

buddha November 23, 2003 at 11:50 pm

Red eh?..seems to be the color of choice during the fall/winter months. Valley gets her hair (blonde) dyed red everyone once in awhile. Her salon does it..she wouldn’t dare do it herself. Me..I once thought about some “highlights”. Valley wouldn’t let me. Said it would raise “questions” about me. I say I would look like the Cats Ass!!!..okay..maybe not. feh..

tricia November 24, 2003 at 12:09 am

Can I see a picture of that blue hair please?

nastybastard November 24, 2003 at 9:08 am

What’s wrong with blue? ;)

Kitty November 25, 2003 at 1:01 am

As a (faux) redhead for a full decade now … I’ve done nearly every shade, (blank)light, and whatnot and have been to the most chichi salons (frederick fakkai, namedropping) as well as done my own hair (and currently do so after learning from a stylist how to)… so here’s my advice (and you can ask Robyn for pictures for proof of my head)

1. NEVER … let me repeat that … NEVER just use a straight red color on any head unless you want to look like Ronald McDonald for at least a week (sometimes more) I go to Sally Beauty Supply and get the professional cremes there (not the liquid or gel kind … they are more difficult to control) and never use more than a 20 developer unless you want to be orange. I usually pick a shade I like … then mix it half and half with a brown/brown gold base (something in the 5 level usually)
That helps to prevent weird roots, and keeps you from having crazy red head.

If you are wanting to find a salon … check out allure back issues in the directory section … they put some of the better salons and good colorists in there. But, I will tell you that even with the best colorist, sometimes you don’t get what you expected. If they are worth anything, they will continue to work it until it is what you want. It took about 7-8 tries to get my signature color where it fades into something that doesn’t look like copper wire.

In any case, good luck. And be prepared to be hit on endlessly ;-) Cause blonde’s don’t really have more fun … red heads do!

Tom November 25, 2003 at 8:39 am

Stacia,

Don’t do you hair yourself. My wife is a hairdresser and she can tell you that the product you buy youself in the store is poor quality compared to what you get in a salon.

Go professional.

I think red would be nice, though dark brown/black would be nice for the winter.

Camille November 25, 2003 at 1:56 pm

I just gotta say I love the fact that you want to go red!!! Awww..to not be an outsider anymore…..

Will November 25, 2003 at 11:24 pm

The world definitely needs more redheads. As a wiser man than I once said, “Redheads are the product of a reaction between sugar and lust.” What can I say, I’m an Irish Bostonian … I think we’re just born with a love for red hair.