I don’t know what to say, except it’s Christmas and we’re all in misery.

by statia on October 2, 2003

I remember when I was a kid, Christmas lights and lawn ornaments were cool. We’d pile in my Aunt’s big ass seafoam green Lincoln and head over to this street where they put up the most detailed Christmas displays. The in thing during the 80′s were those cheesy plastic snowmen and plastic candy canes. I can’t believe we actually thought this stuff was cool. I can’t believe anyone thought they actually looked good on their front lawn. Then lawn ornaments started to look a bit more simple and trendy, like those white lighted reindeer sillhouette’s. Now it looks like lawn ornaments are getting tacky again. What the hell is up with those damn giant inflatable snowmen and santa’s? Don’t people realize that these are just the tacky plastic snowmen of the 70′s and 80′s, except bigger? Don’t get me wrong, simple Christmas lights can be very pretty, but lawn ornaments are just wrong.

If anyone puts this on their front lawn, I’m kicking some ass.

sphinx October 2, 2003 at 2:43 pm

Can you believe my Dad still puts those plastic things on the front lawn? Santa on the roof, the big plastic candles, frosty …the works. It looks like Clark Griswalds house.

Oh yeah you can believe it…your from Long Island too.

Norm October 2, 2003 at 2:44 pm

Let me tell you, having spent most of my adult life in the Midwest–Chicago, Detroit & St. Louis–and now, living in south Florida, any Christmas decorations just seem out of place. Lights, lawn ornaments, etc. just don’t seem to create the same feeling as when I was younger when its 80 out. Also, I’m trying real hard not to make mention of no snow, no ice or scraping windshields but I am finding that hard to do too (hard not to mention, not hard to live without, sorry).

:: jozjozjoz :: October 2, 2003 at 2:57 pm

What have you got against Homer?!?!?!

statia October 2, 2003 at 3:04 pm

Nothing, but he just doesn’t belong dressed up as santa on someone’s front lawn.

Mike October 2, 2003 at 3:11 pm

I have the inflatable snowman, and a neighbor has the homer. Here in California though these are necessities as without gaudy decorations and lights, noone would know it’s Christmas.

robyn October 2, 2003 at 3:11 pm

You should see the displays down here with big plastic dolphins pulling Santa’s sled…

buddha October 2, 2003 at 3:25 pm

I’m getting one of those spotlights that shine a big ol Santa or Snowman on the side of a house. Only in my case I’m going to shine it damn smack on the front of my house.

theresa October 2, 2003 at 3:31 pm

I wish someone in my neighborhood would put out a giant inflatable santa Homer. Instead, almost everyone around here shines a couple of spotlights on their house and puts some plain white christmas lights out. It gets really really boring after the 10th house.

ed October 2, 2003 at 4:19 pm

am I seeing a trend with the usage of “seafoam green”?? ;-)

we used to have a big plastic snowman. someone actually stole it. i was crushed at the time.

lol

e

John Tobe October 2, 2003 at 4:30 pm

I don’t know what bothers me the most: the fact that people already have christmas decorations up in farking October, the fact that said decorations are often horribly tacky, or the fact that people have had horribly tacky halloween decorations up for two weeks now. Probably the last one bothers me the most.

Shut Up, Brain! October 2, 2003 at 5:22 pm

Load Bearing Decorations

My blogroll grows slowly but surely and with the addition of pizza dreams, I now have more blogs rolled than I can count on one hand. Wait a minute…oh, crap. *chops off pinky fingers* Yes, more than I can count…

meegan October 2, 2003 at 10:41 pm

um… no. i don’t think lawn ornaments were ever considered cool. ;)

Stephanie October 3, 2003 at 3:19 pm

2 words: Lawn Cheese

Zuly October 4, 2003 at 2:28 pm

My dad is Clark W. Griswold, and his proud of it. Last year he was giddy with joy when he had a moving, lighted reindeer on a timer that turned on at sunset. Twisted, twisted man. I don’t think he’s seen the Homer Santa yet. I intend to keep it that way.

Who Cares October 5, 2003 at 9:16 am

And you’ve watched Tommy Boy one too many times!!!!

statia October 5, 2003 at 9:50 am

Nice job there dumbass, because that title wasn’t from Tommy Boy.

Annastazia October 7, 2003 at 1:36 pm

The Homer Santa has always bugged me too. However, I did see a giant inflatable Halloween Homer dressed as a skeleton. I’m still not sure how to feel about that..