Eternal Flame

by statia on October 29, 2003

When I was a kid, and still living on Long Island, I lived maybe half a mile from the fire station. It never really bothered me until I was about five. I remember the day that it went off right before I was about to go to bed. I guess the sound freaked me out, and my father had to come in and tell me that it would be fine. I must have gotten used to it, because I don’t remember it bothering me after that. We moved to PA when I was about 10 or 11, and we lived far enough away from the fire station that I really couldn’t hear it. Since living on my own, I’ve either never lived that close, or they just did away with the sirens. I can’t remember the last time I heard a fire siren.

That is until last week sometime, at about 3am. Freakin’ Ct on a sidecar. I come to find out that it’s like two blocks away from me. I realized that the sound still creeps me out. I don’t know why, it just sounds so eerie, especially in the middle of the night, when everything else is so quiet. I can see it’ll be more of a pain in the ass than anything, during my duration of living here.

The fire siren just went off again, about an hour ago. I didn’t really think much of it, until I walked out the front door to walk the dog. At the end of my block was a bunch of flashing lights.

Yeah, it ought to be fun.

Cathy October 29, 2003 at 11:20 pm

My school is right next to beth israel hospital and childrens hospital…all you hear all night is sirens going down brookline ave…it gets really annoying, but the best is the medflight helicopters, its so nice to hear them buzzing over my dorm at 4am..

*Cathy* -Tricias oh so cool friend, P.S awesome site homeslice :)

Jonathan October 29, 2003 at 11:44 pm

Funny how realtors, rental agents, etc. occasionally forget to mention the small details. But I think you’re ignoring some of the perks. Free rides around the block on the fire truck! If you ever need a date, you can just set your apartment on fire: instant firemen. And I bet if you ask nicely, they’ll let you slide down the fire pole as much as you want to.

theresa October 29, 2003 at 11:45 pm

I spent much of my childhood in fire stations, since my dad was a fireman and all. The one he worked for in PA had a really loud siren that went off whenever they got a call … on top of the truck sirens. Fire stations in VA don’t do that (at least not the ones I’ve seen).

So we moved to VA, and my dad finally retired. Hooray! No more fire stations. That is, until I moved into my first apartment in college, which just happened to be less than a block from the fire house. I was not amused.

buddha October 30, 2003 at 12:10 am

I feel your pain. It may not happen as often but where I live there is a nuclear power plant. They do a test the first monday of each month at exactly 2:00 P.M. It’s loud as hell and may I add..pretty frightening.
It’s good stuff…real good

Empress October 30, 2003 at 7:03 am

I grew up living two doors down from a fire station. It was actually a comfort to me and I got to know the people who worked and volunteered there pretty well. I never minded the siren. The dogs did, though!

sean October 30, 2003 at 10:07 am

“Christ on a sidecar” buahahahaha. I’m so using that one.

Want to know creepy? In our town we had volunteer firefighters, and we used a WWII air raid siren to call them up. Through the whole town. Yeah, we were advanced.

so in love October 30, 2003 at 10:40 am

I love you so much. You rock my world!!!

ericalynn October 30, 2003 at 10:44 am

i feel the same way!!! I used to get freaked out by the “alarm” that would go off every few seconds.. like this dull roar… I didn’t even live *that* close to the fire station.. yet I heard it loud and clear and it was probably the first thing I was ever really afraid of..

LisaC October 30, 2003 at 5:23 pm

I am moving into a place across the road from a hospital next week. I am pretty worried about those sirens! Then again it will be handy if we ever get sick!