Not a good day

by statia on September 21, 2003

Yesterday was an awesome day. At least from a riding standpoint. 80 degrees. No wind. Not a cloud in the sky. It was a little tougher this year since I wasn’t able to train as much as I wanted to. For one, spring sucked and summer didn’t start until July, but that’s another story for another day.

I made it there yesterday, and it was all good. Ultimately, I wasn’t in bad shape, sore, but that good type of sore. My knee was bothering me a bit more than usual. So I did what any regular red blooded American would do. I drank.

This morning, my knee was still bothering me, but not enough to prevent me from starting out. I did some extra stretching, and warmed myself up more than usual.

Cut to mile 15 on the return trip. My knee just wasn’t holding up at all. I couldn’t push any further. I was annoyed, upset, and on the brink of making the stupid decision to go on. I’m glad someone was there to tell me I was making the right decision to stop. I could have hurt myself much worse. I know I did some damage to my knee, and it hurts like a bitch, but I don’t know how bad. I’m mad. Mad for that happening. Mad for not finishing. Disappointed and upset with myself. I know I shouldn’t be, but this is something that I challenge myself to. Hopefully it’s not permanent, and it’s treatable, but I don’t know. I hear clicking in my joint and it hurts to move it. I also know that it could be an issue with my bike not being adjusted properly. You should never have that sort of pain from a bike if it’s adjusted right. So I have two things to do right now. Go to the doctor to make sure it’s not me, and go to the bike shop and hop on the trainer to get properly adjusted.

Right now, I need to go ice down the knee.

robyn September 21, 2003 at 6:31 pm

:-( Owie. I’m really sorry that you didn’t get to finish — but I’m still WAY proud of you! The fact you even started the race is much more than I could ever do. I’m glad someone talked you into not hurting yourself more though. Hope the knee feels better soon!

jim September 21, 2003 at 6:43 pm

it is best to put your pride aside, and do the right thing so you can continue to ride in the future. “You didnt quit your knee quit!!”

munin September 21, 2003 at 7:13 pm

so sorry to hear that, sweetie. i know the frustrations of not being able to finish because of knee problems, but it is much better that you didn’t. next year statia. next year. hoping the owie goes away soon.
*big squishy hugs*

Lisa-grrl September 21, 2003 at 9:12 pm

ow! I’m still very impressed that you did it at all. :) And more impressed that you stopped when you did.

ericalynn September 21, 2003 at 9:38 pm

I echo what everyone up there is saying! I am so proud of you for doing it in the first place. Don’t sweat not finishing it because you did what was absolutely best and right for you. I hope that your knee gets better. I miss talking to you… when you’re up to it, be in touch. xoxox

sean September 22, 2003 at 12:54 am

How far did you end up riding?

Heather September 22, 2003 at 1:30 am

Bleh, that’s a bitch. Hope your knee is fixable. I think it’s kewl that you started the tour, I’m just too damn out of shape to do anything like that. I’m sure lots of people are proud of you and appreciate your efforts. Go easy on yourself, sometimes self disappointment is most difficult for me to get over. Be good to you.

Dania September 22, 2003 at 6:58 pm

I’m just impressed you started, cause you know i’d be dead about a mile in ;)