I’m starting my own church, buh bye

by statia on September 9, 2003

Yesterday, on my way to work, I was thinking, which is a feat on a Monday morning. I can barely function, let alone think. Growing up, my parents were considered Catholic. I use this term loosely because I was never made to go to church. I never received anything past my first Ctening. My parents were raised going to Catholic school, and while they kept a lot of their faith, never went to church unless it was for a wedding, funeral, Ctening… etc. As a kid, this was somewhat confusing to me. I was instilled moral values by my parents, to which I still carry with me to this day, but I never really had religious beliefs. I know it’s wrong to kill, steal, lie, cheat, all the bad stuff. I know the basic gist of religion.

About the time puberty set in, I began to question religion, faith, and god. I’m the type of person that for the most part, can’t just go on faith alone. For me to believe in something, or grasp a concept, I need to be able use my senses to process it. Over the years, this is something that has been something that I’ve battled with. And over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d put myself on the agnostic fence, with a slight athiest belief. Now, anyone who believes in God, can just save your words right here. I have nothing against anyone who believes in God or practices any sort of religion. I’m not here to cram my beliefs down your throat, nor do I want you to do be doing the same. I consider myself spiritual.

Now, how I’ve come to this conclusion, I don’t know, considering, *gasp* I’ve never read The Bible. Yes, that’s right, you’ve heard me correctly. I’ve read passages here and there. I’ve gone to church with my Godparents on occasion. What brought me to this thought yesterday was that I have many Pagan/Wiccan friends who can argue to the death with religious nuts about The Bible, and really, I can’t validly argue with someone, not having read it word for word. I’ve only gotten basic knowledge. Then I thought , maybe, just maybe, it’s something that I’d want to do, just to say, “yeah, I read The Bible”. Then I realized, that I have the attention span of a gnat, and I’m ok with my spirituality.

But I wonder if they make Cliff’s Notes.

5 points if anyone can tell me where the title of this entry comes from (Sassypants not eligble, void in Tennessee)

Sassy McSmartpants September 9, 2003 at 10:08 am

So the one contest I know I can win and I’m not eligible! Grah!!!

And they actually do have Bible Cliff’s Notes.

matt September 9, 2003 at 11:06 am

dennis leary: lock and load

Mike September 9, 2003 at 11:19 am

It’s not just Catholicism!! I too grew up Catholic an thought the same thoughts you have now. Then me and my wife started attending a lutheran church, and everything was honky-dorry (sp) for awhile, but then turned. It changed to being all about how much money you gave every week, so we stopped going. I believe that if you alright in your own spirituality, than why do you need a church? It’s kind of a personal relationship anyway, isn’t it??? I don’t know, just my two cents for what it’s worth(maybe half a cent).

Don September 9, 2003 at 11:53 am

Dennis Leary???

Stephanie September 9, 2003 at 12:03 pm

Uh-oh. We’re having readings from the Old and New Testament at our wedding. You’re not gonna spontaneously combust in the pew, are you? ; P

matt September 9, 2003 at 12:10 pm

maybe struck by lightning, but i don’t think she would just burst into flames. :)

ed September 9, 2003 at 12:49 pm

“That’s it! I’m starting my own church…buh-bye!” -Dennis Leary, Lock & Load

rock on.

ed

sphinx September 9, 2003 at 1:56 pm

It’s wrong to kill??? Shit! *hides dead bodies*

btezra September 9, 2003 at 4:59 pm

I like the Buddy Christ over there…refreshing and, it really does say “wow”

LisaC September 9, 2003 at 7:48 pm

You know I did ALL the Catholic stuff but now consider myself similar to you. I have read some of the bible (talk about boring- I want those cliff notes so I can skip to the good stuff).
When I was young my lazy (catholic) Mum would send us to Catholic Church with my (no religion) Dad. I think that is when I began to question it all!

BillH September 10, 2003 at 12:44 am

Hey, Statia, I’ve been a deacon and and elder in our church and the ONE and ONLY time I have read the Bible (other than excerpts for our services) was in a college course titled “Literature of the Old and New Testament”. Yup, that’s right. Read it from cover to cover in four months with tests over each chapter. UGH! Not something I would recommend; it is something you should WANT to read, not HAVE to read.

Mace September 10, 2003 at 1:41 am

I consider myself an Atheist too. Why do I feel like a minority being an Atheist? The more and more I look around the more and more Atheists I see. I am starting to think Atheists are the majority, but they don’t care about religion so they don’t talk about so nobody knows they are Atheist.

Donna September 10, 2003 at 2:15 pm

amen ;)

I feel the same way, I was raised southern baptist. I never read more than I had to for sunday school.

My dh doesn’t believe in God, but, doesn’t want to say anything in fear his grandparents will kill over earlier than the road God has planned for them. So, we keep our beliefs quiet.