I dream of Jeannie with the light brown hair

by statia on September 4, 2003

For a while, I’ve been thinking about going short, with my hair that is. I don’t know if it’s just curiosity getting the better of me, or if I’m just itching for change. I’m not sure. I was really digging Nicole’s hair when we had gone out for the big drunkfest on South St. the weekend that Dania and Sarah were in town. Just the way she had it sort of pulled back in a little barrette and had the back all funky messy like. I wish I could pull it off. I’ve never had really short hair. Well, except when I was about four, but that doesn’t really count. So I really don’t know what I’d look like with short hair. It’s fine, so I’m afraid that even with all of the pomeade in the world, it’d be all limp by the end of the day. Heh, I said limp.

Then I was talking to Amy about her recent hair mishap, and it not looking the way she wanted it to look, and it made me scared. So very scared. She wanted the Halle Berry look. See, now, if I went in with the idea in my head and a picture of the hairstyle I wanted, and the stylist didn’t do exactly that, I’d be kicking some major ass. The shortest I’ve had my hair in my adult life is chin length, and that was stretching it. I decided to grow it back two years ago, and well, now it’s halfway down my back, but I usually only wear it down and straight. Going really short is a big change, even in stages.

I’m still scared. Don’t say it’s just hair either. I used to have nightmares when I was younger about someone cutting my hair off. Yes, nightmares.

robyn September 4, 2003 at 12:13 pm

I have fine hair, too — but with the right cut, I think short hair looks fab on me. Ever played around with one of those different image-option hairstyle thingies?

mikey September 4, 2003 at 12:16 pm

eh, just get it lopped off. no sense in letting fear keep you from trying new things, right?

theresa September 4, 2003 at 12:46 pm

When I got my hair lopped off (I went from past my shoulder to above my ears), I was TERRIFIED. I mean, sure it’s just hair and it grows back, but veeeeery slowly. And I did it before I had my senior pictures for HS taken. What can I say.. I like livin’ on the edge.

Anyway.. short hair is usually very cute, but there are a few drawbacks. 1) You have to style/wash/blowdry it every day. 2) You have to get it cut every 2-3 weeks, which can end up costing a lot of money. A lot of people talk about how short hair is easier to take care of. Maybe it depends on the style of the cut, but I’ve got fine hair, and it was definitely NOT easier to take care of.

That being said, if you find a short hair cut that works, let me know. My hair is down to the middle of my back now, and I’m dying to chop it off :)

skurdycat September 4, 2003 at 12:54 pm

I would be skurd too :) It is just hair, but it is YOUR hair..not just someone elses. No one else has to wake up to the new do and figure out what to do with it. Having my hair long and straight would also make for a very trying decision as well. I hope that you end up doing what you want to do and not what you think you should do. :)

Amy September 4, 2003 at 12:57 pm

Dang, now my hair is a mishap?! LMAO! But seriously, I like it now… and it IS easy to do. Do you have a stylist you trust? That might help you to build a repoire with someone first and then go in stages. Last year my hair was down to my bra strap in the back and then every time I went in, I went a *little* shorter… until this week when the hairstylist went all scissor happy on me. Then I went a LOT shorter. Heh.

john September 4, 2003 at 3:50 pm

If you do get it done, remember to donate to Locks of Love.

Mac September 4, 2003 at 4:35 pm

Do I have to take you to my stylist? At least you know you’d be getting the cut you want. *grin*

LisaC September 4, 2003 at 11:58 pm

When I was little my sister cut my hair. I was so scared of having short hair that she had to bribe me by promising me $20 if she cut off too much. I never collected.
I have never had short hair (since I was 6) and I still don’t want to (not with my round face).

Stephanie September 5, 2003 at 1:12 pm

I love, love, love my short hair. I can pull off “adorable” and “sophisticated,” and I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to chin length (or longer). Why don’t you find a tool online where you can experiment with your look before risking the chop? I don’t know of one, but I’m sure it exists.
And as for living dangerously, well, there are many much worse hurts out there than a bad cut.