Our house, in the middle of the street

by statia on August 12, 2003

This week has proven to challenge every bit of my patience. From work, to personal issues, to stupid little crap happening, like my shower head nozzle popping off just as I started the shower yesterday morning, causing me to get hot water in my eyes and flood the bathroom. Work has been busy and I have a presentation to do tomorrow. I can’t wait to drink myself into a stupor on Friday.

My landlord decided to sell my place. So potentially, I could be in the same situation as Nicole, except, I don’t know how to knit, and I really don’t have that sort of time to play around with as far as saving goes. I hear there are perks, of owning vs. renting. I’m just not sure what I want to do yet, or if I can actually afford the place. I’m so very overwhelmed by this whole thing right now. Am I ready to be a big kid yet?

Hold me.

Adelle August 12, 2003 at 9:25 pm

I know what you mean… I am 31 and still rent, but I am single and never know if I will move again. Besides, I am too freaked to think if something actually broke.

jay August 12, 2003 at 9:42 pm

Well I’ve been dealing with this dilemna for the past year or so. I want to get a dog so I need to move and I want to move because I need something better suited for me. Renting is soooo easy but you basically just throw your money away and have nothing to show for it, buying has a lot of upfront cost but at least you get a tax refund and you can always sell and get your cash back and use it for something bigger. So this week I’ve looked at some townhouse/condos. Bigger than a one floor apt and you dont really have to worry about upkeep of the outside like roofs, shingles, grass mowing, etc like you would for a house. I think I found a place I like but now I’ve go to get the bank to pre-approve me, submit a bid and wait. My realtor said 30 days is quick to close and 60 is closer to the norm. The long time is what sucks, I could find a place to rent and move in next week. Well anyway since I’m going through this for the first time I could answer any questions you might have.

Tracy August 12, 2003 at 10:06 pm

Well, as impractical as some may see it, I vote for continuing to rent!! Everyone told me before I bought a house that buying was so much better…that my rent payment would pay for a house…blah blah blah. Yeah, now my house payment is $250 more than my rent was, my utilities are more than triple what they were, and I have a lawn to mow and if something breaks (and several things have in the two months I’ve been here) *I* have to fix it, or pay someone to do so. So…I think renting is good, given your age and situation. BUT….that’s just my opinion.

Annessa August 12, 2003 at 10:18 pm

Just come move in with me. I’ve got an extra room, and you can sit here and laugh at me. I’ll even wear clothes, mostly.

Dude, rent while you can. It’s a pain in the ass to have to fix your own toilet at two in the morning. Or to rewire your house. Or to take care of a lawn.

Lisa-grrl August 12, 2003 at 10:44 pm

You wanna live with me? :)

Hey Lisa August 12, 2003 at 11:17 pm

Renting is the way to go if you don’t want to worry about things breaking that you can’t afford to fix, taxes and mortgage… ick. Lots of stress involved with being a grown-up. Unfortunately, it happens to all of us eventually. Dammit.

gojou August 13, 2003 at 12:34 am

Hold me.

Damn — I thought you’d never ask. ;-)

natalie August 13, 2003 at 6:50 am

I agree with most of the above – rent while you can. Sure, there are perks to owning (the tax refund is a biggie) but renting is so much easier. I wish I’d have read up on what all is involved with owning a home before buying one, as I’ve been surprised by quite a few issues that have cropped up (I still can’t find anyone who can adequately explain why I should register as a “homesteader” – some weird throw-back to the late 1800s).

I’ve owned for over two years now and I’m still learning about crap that I’d just as soon have a landlord deal with.

Nicole August 13, 2003 at 8:22 am

After reading those comments I’m suddenly even more frightened to buy the freakin’ house than I already was!

jim August 13, 2003 at 9:55 am

Like everyone says – dont buy unless you really have to..ie ur having kids and need more room, dog needs his own back yard..etc..there are many hidden benefits to renting – someone else fixes your shower head…you can move to San Diego before Roshashana, etc. The economics btw renting and home purchasing are market driven and usually reside at equilibrium. The driving factors should be your housing needs not money.

oh – if your “anticipated future needs” are those requiring home ownership, you should start saving now for that future. happy knitting!!

Dania August 13, 2003 at 10:57 am

Wow. and i’m the total opposite of all those people ^^ I hated renting.

Maybe it’s because I like change too much..if I get tired of a room I can just change the colour. As for fixing crap, i’m *sure* you can find a couple of guys to come over there =P

Stephanie August 13, 2003 at 11:50 am

Wow – you all are making ME feel better about signing my next lease! I say rent while you can – why make things more complicated than they need to be? The big house, big backyard, flock of black labs, 2.3 kids and minivan will arrive eventually – for now, enjoy your youth!

statia August 13, 2003 at 12:10 pm

Thanks guys, I see your points on renting, My only issue is that my rent now is really really good for what I have, so I’m still not sure. I know I won’t find the space and amenities for the price. *sigh*

buddha August 13, 2003 at 1:08 pm

I’m going to be the man of “non reason”
I say buy. Renting is like throwing money out the window. You might as well just give it to me. If you buy you know that it is yours and you can do whatever you want with it. Again..I don’t know what financial situation you are in so I can’t make a good judgement here. All I know is that mortage rates are insanely low right now. It’s a prime time to buy. Plus if anything else you need a place where Grommit can run and play.
Seriously there are pluses and minues to both renting and buying it all depends on what you are looking for at this point in your life.

Brian August 13, 2003 at 2:04 pm

Well don’t fret…this landlord selling the property has happened to me 2 times in the last 3 years….I like to think it’s my super decorating and repainting skills that make the pads look so nice….next time I am asking for a cut of the sale price for “design and decorating” fees.

eve August 13, 2003 at 6:15 pm

I know the feeling. I don’t wanna be a grown up. My father keeps telling me to buy a place down here – especially with the interest rates so low – it’s a good time to buy. But, I fear putting down roots here and the whole house buying thing scares me much more than the whole car buying thing ever did. ugh! If you’ve got the cash though – i’d say go do it! It’s a good time to buy.

tricia August 13, 2003 at 6:27 pm

Dude, come up here and live with us. :)

Brandon August 13, 2003 at 8:54 pm

Ah, the house will be good for you…go for it.

Sweety August 16, 2003 at 5:12 pm

I’m sorry to hear that for you. I live in The Netherlands and here your situation is almost not possible. Law says the buyer of the house should keep the renters to!! That doesn’t help you I know.. Good luck finding a new place :)