My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend

by statia on August 27, 2003

I have all of my rubbermaid containers in my car, to start packing. I’m kind of still in shock over the fact that I’m moving. Not in shock really, just gearing myself up over it. Moving sucks. Packing is undaunting, mundane, and just a plain pain in the ass. The best part? I have nowhere to go. Finding a place in the Philadelphia metro area isn’t exactly easy. Especially with a dog. Anything that you do find that takes a dog is four trillion dollars a month in rent. Plus they want first and last months rent, an extra security, a lock of your hair, your name carboned in ink and then also in blood, dna samples and quite possibly, a stool sample. Everything happens for a reason, and change is good, but right now, it couldn’t have come at a worse time. Weddings, school, ms150, yadda yadda. Anyway, I’ll pull through, I always pull through. Even if I end up worrying until the day I move.

I have to laugh in total disgust and disbelief at people who say things like “oh well, maybe you can just get rid of the dog.” Yeah, ok, guess what, our apartment doesn’t take kids, leave them on the doorstep of the SPCA, because to people that don’t have dogs, that’s what it’s like. A pet to me isn’t disposable. My dog is my kid. Getting rid of him is not an option. Not only would it break my heart, but it’d break his heart as well. A lot of times you can negotiate with individual property owners. Especially if you have references.

Coincidentally, the realtor called and let me know of a place ten minutes from here, and the owner’s wife owns the nail salon I’ve been going to for the last 6 years. Small world. I’ll be looking at it on Friday. If stuff fits and I can get to work in a decent amount of time, it might just be good. The only con is I had my heart set on a different area that was a little bit closer to socialization, and some nightlife. Walking distance to some decent pubs and bars. I could handle that. Kind of trendy. I think I need that. On the pro side, with school starting up in November, do I really need that temptation?

Just as long as I have my dog.

Oh, and a washer and dryer would be nice too……..

sledge August 27, 2003 at 10:50 pm

hey, a ferris bueller quote as the title – nice!

yes, moving blows monkey chunks. luckily i haven’t had to do it for almost 7 years. i’d help, but i am currently stuck in the third ring of hell known as Ohio.

Don August 27, 2003 at 10:52 pm

I never understand people who think that pets are disposable. All 3 of my German shepherds lived to elderly ages – 13 and 10 years. They were more family to me than anything. Their passing is still remembered.

Tracy August 27, 2003 at 11:00 pm

We have a spare room…you and Grommit can come live with us. I just have a feeling the commute might be killer…

Tracy August 27, 2003 at 11:01 pm

-m, dammit.

Amy August 27, 2003 at 11:06 pm

When are you moving? Was it sudden notice that you had to move? I’m guessing you want to stay in the city from your post… if you want the suburbs, you can come live in my basement! HA! I’m sure my two cats would love having Gromit around.

monkey buttttt August 27, 2003 at 11:09 pm

try moving 3,000 miles away…. :)

Annessa August 27, 2003 at 11:32 pm

I have to tell you Statia was holding her box watching a pussy fight.

It was funnier at the time.

Hey Lisa August 28, 2003 at 12:02 am

I can’t believe someone would actually suggest you “get rid of the dog”. Ridiculous. I hope the new place is something you like. Or even better, I hope the perfect place just opens up right when you need it. Your choice of words regarding rental move-in requirements cracked me right up!

I’m getting a great visual, Annessa. ;) But I’m thinking probably the reality was more mundane?

Lisa-grrl August 28, 2003 at 12:27 am

Packing definitely sucks. I’ll still visit you in October, no matter where you move (well, unless you move somewhere off the path that I’m going to be travelling and then you have to visit me).

Solonor August 28, 2003 at 6:38 am

While getting rid of “the dog” might be an option to someone, I don’t understand how anyone could say “Get rid of Grommit.” Sheesh.

Feisty Girl August 28, 2003 at 9:40 am

Okay. I agree. My kitties are totally my babies, and I WON’T get rid of them. It will be fine. My parents (out in MA, sorry) own a little place, and they say no pets, but every time someone asks them specifically, my mom just asks to meet the pet and if it’s nice, and not too smelly she says yes. I’m sure it’ll all work out!

Veshka August 28, 2003 at 9:44 am

This one apartment me and my husband were looking at a while back had a no pet rule. Which is illegal in this town actually. So I happened to mention this, and they said fine, the rent would then go from $700 to $1000 to cover the costs of cleaning the carpets in the hall (which apparently she would shed on profusely when on our way outside) and yardwork (cause I don’t know how to pick up after my pooch). When I said that was ridiculous, he told me to get rid of my dog. *Smirk* That’s when I told him that such gouging is also illegal and if that was his final word, I’d love to discuss it with the rental tribunal of Ontario :) Never did move there… Last thing I wanted was to live in a building full of people who who probably had to give up their pets to live there.

You might want to look up rental agreements in your area. There actually might be laws against disallowing pets and rent gouging. Couldn’t hurt.

sphinx August 28, 2003 at 11:20 am

Yeah… you can’t have arms in your new place, so go ahead and sever them off.

jackweeds.

LisaC August 28, 2003 at 8:22 pm

Over half the blog writers that I read have moved recently (including me) must be the season!