Come and leave a light on for me

by statia on August 26, 2003

About a year ago, I had discussed my horror of noticing people who lived on the second and third floor units were sleeping with their sliding glass doors wide open at night. Not that things have changed, sunday night, some guy on the other side of town, broke into some woman’s house via the second story window, bound and gagged her, and then proceeded to rob her.

Has anyone woken up and smelled the maple nut crunch yet? You might as well just leave them the key under your front mat.

tricia August 26, 2003 at 11:55 am

There’s a serial rapist running around in Mass. He’s been targeting condominium/apartment type complexes where people have sliding glass doors. They leave the doors unlocks and he just strolls right on in and rapes women. I think he raped an old woman while her husband was sleeping in another room.
I bet they never leave a door unlocked another day in their lives after what he did.

tj August 26, 2003 at 12:13 pm

i don’t care what floor we’re on, i always make sure casa de hanton is locked up tight!

mikey August 26, 2003 at 12:32 pm

people always think “oh, that won’t happen to me”. well, i gots a news flash – the people it just happened to? they thought the same thing.

buddha August 26, 2003 at 12:35 pm

We’ve learned our lessing with our “peeping tom” incident. Doors/windows locked when we arent’ around.

Sweety August 26, 2003 at 1:04 pm

By now people should know better then leaving their doors & windows wide open …

robyn August 26, 2003 at 1:24 pm

Dude, when I lived in Philly the laundry room was literally 2 steps out my front door directly across from my apartment. I STILL locked up when I went over there!

fran August 26, 2003 at 2:57 pm

Argh, disturbing.

sphinx August 26, 2003 at 4:00 pm

Even if I lived in the safest neighborhood on earth I would still lock my doors/windows. I am petrified of that.

jim August 26, 2003 at 10:49 pm

straight up NYer talkin’…a open anthin’ is a god damn invitation. Some peoples got no sense.

LisaC August 27, 2003 at 7:56 pm

I think it is sad that you can’t leave your window open anymore even when you live in a 4 storey block. But it is not an invitation- that is like saying someone who wears a mini is asking for it!

Brandon August 28, 2003 at 1:31 am

I think we all have to move to Canada if we want to leave our windows and doors unlocked and remain safe.