And then there was Jimmy two times, who got that nickname because he said everything twice

by statia on August 6, 2003

I was at Musikfest last weekend with some friends that I met through my friend Diana. I don’t see them that often, or know them that well, since they live closer to my hometown, but I know them well enough that I feel comfortable hanging out with them sans Diana. One of the girls is someone that she met in grad school, and ultimately whose place I ended up crashing at after finishing half a bottle of vodka. Anyway, all of her gang tend to hang out on a more regular basis, and all have nicknames for eachother. I felt weird. I could have just jumped in and started using their nicknames, but I couldn’t really feel comfortable doing that, seeing as how I see them maybe 6 times a year. It’s like one of those certain boundries you know you shouldn’t cross. Like trying to control the car stereo, or remote control too early in a relationship.

We’ve all had nicknames at one point or another, and probably still do. They sometimes change as you meet new people, or as you get older. I’ve had my share. Some are funny, some are cool, some are ones that you try to escape but can’t no matter how hard you try. I had a friend in college named Shoe. His real name? Todd. No one ever called him Todd. He doesn’t even know how he got the nickname Shoe, but he liked it so much it stuck. It was almost weird to hear someone call him by his first name. When I was working at one of my old jobs, I was called Sporty, after Sporty Spice, because the crowd I ran with said that I looked like sporty when I wore my hair back. Yeah, shut up, it was during the Spice Girl revolution. In jest, I even had the little sporty move down pat. A couple others off the top of my head were tumbleweed (via Shoe) and Dude (via Purps, who had that nickname before I ever worked with her. Dude, how the hell did you get that name anyway?).

So tell me yours, and how the hell it came about.

Shelly August 6, 2003 at 9:05 am

I’ve never had a nickname that stuck – unless you count “Shelly” – which was my grandpa’s fault. But the one name that seems to follow me everywhere is “Monica”. When I was in college, everyone called me that, and if I wear my hair a certain way, I sometimes get people who look at me and go “Oh my God – you know who you look like?”

Yes. And I don’t think I do. But every now and then, I get called Monica Lewinsky.

I can’t believe I admitted that in public.

Bruce August 6, 2003 at 9:47 am

In college, the members of my college debate team called me Euell (as in Gibbons, the vegetarian guy). Only they called me that, for some reason. Like you, nicknames just flowed off me.

Nicole August 6, 2003 at 9:51 am

I have always been Mac. No good story, though — it’s just a product of having a Scottish last name! *grin*

buddha August 6, 2003 at 10:15 am

Okay..here goes.
Buddha has been with me since my days in high school. It was a nickname given to me by 2 girls that were good friends of mine. It was a combination of my ethnic background and fine physical physique that earned me that nickname. Those two girls were known as “buddha’s bitches”. Back then Buddha was kind of a pimp name. Now it’s just a lifestyle.

Erin August 6, 2003 at 10:18 am

Trip – due to the fact that I fall down a lot. Seriously. It’s so embarassing.

tricia August 6, 2003 at 10:26 am

Tisha was my nick name once… but that was because I didn’t want anyone knowing my real name. A few of my friends in high school called me that, I don’t remember why.. other than that.. I’ve never had a real nickname.

theresa August 6, 2003 at 10:44 am

I’ve had about a million nicknames… I guess becuase my name is fairly long and weird to say, and people are lazy. I have two that have stuck around a fairly long time. First, there’s “Thesa”, which is pronounced exactly as it looks. One of my friends from 7th grade started calling me that to piss me off, and it stuck. Since I lived with her in college, all of my old roommates call me that too.

And the other one is Chipmunk. (Hold the jokes about nuts, please.) I knew this weird guy Justin. He thought everyone had an animal spirit, and he said mine was a chipmunk. Everyone thought it was so true, they started calling me chipmunk, or chippy for short. That was at least 4 years ago, I’m no longer friends with Justin, and my current boyfriend still calls me chippy.

Kevin August 6, 2003 at 11:03 am

Hmm some of my friends have taken to start calling me Butt Urges in the last year or so.

I think it has to do with me mooning people when I get a bit of alcohol flowing in me. That or I have a habit or refering to bad things as ass all the time. As in, that movie was ass, or that fish tastes like ass.

sledge August 6, 2003 at 1:19 pm

since you can’t give yourself a nickname, “sledge” doesn’t count. Sarah and a few others call me mattie, but that’s not really a nickname.

the one that HAS stuck is from my time on college, when i garnered the nickname of Ox. i was the only “local resident” in my dorm from the town where the college is (Miami University in Oxford, Ohio), and i was called “Oxford” at first, and then it got shortened.

Wow. did that make ANY sense?

yvonne August 6, 2003 at 2:00 pm

I’ve never had a nickname, until I started blogging, and now I have a few, and they all have “ho” in them, and I have you to thank for that.

Dania August 6, 2003 at 3:23 pm

Gee that’s funny, you don’t have a problem calling me fucktard, or retard. hmmmmmm

I don’t think I have to mention my nickname…heh

Jonathan August 6, 2003 at 3:41 pm

In school, my nickname was Night Time, because my sleeping schedule was always reversed.

At an ISP I worked for, a friend there began calling me the Digital Messiah.

gojou August 6, 2003 at 4:42 pm

My college nickname Crash was bestowed upon me for two different reasons. I was originally given the name because of my tendency (completely accidental, I assure you) to tackle opponents during intramural flag football games. It really took hold, however, when my dormmates noticed my tendency to stay up all night and sleep very, very late…quite often missing class in the process.

The other notable nickname I’ve had was Bobby Sox. I was a fairly small kid in elementary and junior high and didn’t get into athletics until much later than the other boys. When I first started playing baseball, I wasn’t very good; hence, the name. Once I started hitting home runs the other boys couldn’t, however, that nick died a quiet death.

gojou August 6, 2003 at 4:44 pm

BTW: The guy who originally bestowed the Crash nick upon me also had a nick. We called him Smog or Smoggy because that fucker used to fart ALL THE TIME.

Nero August 6, 2003 at 5:05 pm

As embarrassing as this is, my nicknames ranged from “grama” to “horse” because someone I went to elementary school remarked one day that I dressed like his grandma (I never wore jeans, and to this day I’ll never understand why, now I can’t live without them) so that’s where that one came from.

The horse one however, came from what I used to do during my lunch hour in elementary school. I loved horses and wanted to own one really REALLY badly, so I used to spend all my free time in the library reading Black Stallion books. The kids were horrible to me, and those names didn’t help. :(

PDawg August 6, 2003 at 10:33 pm

Hmm…”Pdawg” was the moniker attached to me by the girls I used to coach, and although I hated it because it was bestowed upon me by white farmer girls trying to be urban, it has stuck.

My college nickname was (and still is) “Paiger” for obvious reasons–my first name being Paige. One of my teammates, Maureen Broderick, started calling me that, and one by one the rest of our basketball team picked it up, as well. It never became truly official until the day at practice that our coach called me by it. Shocked the hell out of all of us, but it will be a name that will go to the grave with me.

Veshka August 7, 2003 at 9:19 am

Most of my nicknames throughout elementary and high school were based on the fact that I developed much earlier and better than my female peers. So those I dare not repeat. However, the ones that stuck with me are from college and shortly there after. The one that most of my old college buddies call me is “Satan Chick” because of a t-shirt I used to wear constantly that had a silk screened name tag that said “Hi, My Name Is Satan” (they even were going to shout it when I went up to get my diploma during the grad ceremony). And after that was “The Almighty Cult Leader” because of an interview a reporter did on me about Witchcraft, where I was grossly misquoted. A replacement nickname for that one is also “Worship Mama” and “Queen of the Minions”. *Shrugs* Not as common as some, but they certainly turn heads.

sphinxy August 7, 2003 at 10:02 am

You forgot my nickname for you, “poophead”.

I have been known as Kat, Wild Turkey (no need for an explaination there), …the one that stuck the most was “Queen Pie”, which has a looong story with it. It has since been shortened to Queenie and still sticks to this day. Oh and if pet names count, “Stink”.

Purps August 7, 2003 at 11:43 am

Yo Sporty! I never knew you did the Sporty moves! You haveta show me that. The Purps nickname comes from my High School Days. We were forced to take swimming in 9th grade and what’s worse is that no one was allowed to bring in her own suit. We all had to wear school issued suits that they claimed they cleaned after every use. You see, we didn’t keep the same suit for each class. Think of that, when you buy a new suit, you can’t even return it if that paper thingie is gone, but they have us wearing suits everyone else was wearing. Yes, I’m still scarred! So, in order to insure you get the right size suit, you had to stand in a line and shout out your color which was according to your b00b size. You guessed it, I was purple.

Jim August 7, 2003 at 12:16 pm

ok..I just stumbled in here today but ..it feels like home, so – my nickname is Jimiluv. I got it while working my first job as a Wall Street trading assistant. I went to a work party ( my first one) and ended up making out with the head traders girlfriend, who happened to be the lead Equity saleswoman. Many strange things happened that night..true confessions, heat in the back of a limosine, went to work the next day w/o sleeping – in the same clothes, etc. The next day the whole floor knew and they called me “jimluv”….I was fired uncerimoniasly the next day. ( and she was the one that grabbed my ass and started the whole thing!!!…true story)

Ari August 7, 2003 at 12:53 pm

Nicknames, Not like my name is long by any sense of the imagination, but people have called me “a” they have called me “big A” since I am short of statue, I have been called squirmals, was a camp nickname, when you are short and quick. Mostly everyone calls me by my last name, so Devin is almost a nickname.

I think though there have been more nicknames for my cars!!!

Ari August 7, 2003 at 12:53 pm

I think though there have been more nicknames for my cars!!!

Nikki August 7, 2003 at 2:46 pm

In high school it was Grimace, I wore ALOT of purple clothing. Currently it could be any variety of negative derogatory names (Slut, Bitch, etc, etc.) They’re only said with love so I don’t have a problem with it

ChrisTina August 7, 2003 at 5:49 pm

My name is Christina, but everyone has called me Tina. I HATE IT. IT WON’T DIE.
Rina, T-Nuts (my step dad is a crackhead.), Dashiki (don’t ask), Fry Pan (kinda like Home Skillet) and a hundred more.

I knew this guy once named Craig, but everybody called him Fat Bastard. That has got to be one of the worst nicknames I have ever heard.

peat August 7, 2003 at 10:17 pm

Peat was a name I “earned” in college for falling over into a pile of peat moss one night. Real name is Peter.

Lisa-grrl August 8, 2003 at 10:35 am

I never really had any nicknames. I know people who call me “Jas” or “Jasra” from IRC/IM.

Dull, what I can say?

Iki August 10, 2003 at 7:50 am

“Iki” was my nickname all through the late 80′s early 90′s BBS days, and I still use it in case any of those folks ever do a search for me; I want them to find me since we all went our separate ways. Iki was my dog’s name – she’s long gone but her memory lives on. :) In high school my girlfriends called me “chicken legs” because of those skinny legs, shortened to “chicken”. We did animal names – my friend Ann was called Bullfrog then just “frog” because when she hiccupped it sounded exactly like a bullfrog croak.