Pet meds direct?

by statia on July 8, 2003

Has anyone ever used 1800-PetMeds or any other sort of website like this to buy medication for your pet? Poor g-man has yet another ear infection, and I don’t want to hoof all the way out to the vet to pick up his ear stuff if I can get it online. They say it’s cheaper, but I don’t know if it really is by the time you factor in shipping and everything.

Anyone? Bueller?

Merrin July 8, 2003 at 12:34 pm

Kevin and I buy all our stuff from PetMeds. Yeah, it takes a couple of days, but it is cheaper.

rickg July 8, 2003 at 12:34 pm

I’ve never used them, but I was just talking to someone who does animal rescue and fostering, and he said they use one of the online sites to buy all their meds and were very happy with it.

Richard j Smith July 8, 2003 at 12:36 pm

Just read your blog from Jason DeFillipo’s blog. My gf is a vet assistant and she says that the doctors at her clinic hate that 1800petmeds, because you still have to get a check up from the vet any way and if it is something serious, you need continual check ups. Also, on a personal note, I think it is fine if it is something that has to be taken on a rest of life thing. But other then that I wouldn’t recomend it. Hope that helps. We have a dog, cat, 5 rabbits a trutle and three fish.

robyn July 8, 2003 at 12:47 pm

When we realized the vet would still have to authorize / call in the prescription after seeing Claire, we usually just buy it at the PetSmart vet if money is an issue. A bit cheaper than the vet’s office and you get it right away.

btezra July 8, 2003 at 1:00 pm

~nothing is better and more worth the extra cost than a trusted vet…to save a couple bucks & have to wait a few days more is not worth the possibility of something becoming worse…I say trust a vet you have gone to for some time…just my $0.02

sphinxy July 8, 2003 at 1:17 pm

I wondere about this myself… but i found out you have to like get the approval from your vet and blah blah. Pain in the ass no matter what you do it seems. Wayne gets ear infections all the friggin time and I still have to drag his shedding ass up to the vet. *sigh*

Johnny9k July 8, 2003 at 2:52 pm

I order our flea stuff from Dr Foster Smith but any medication I get from our vet. Its worth it in the long run to have a good relationship with a good vet.

Another FYI – Does Grommit swim alot? If so you should be putting that ear concoction in after he swims. It helps dry things out and prevents ear infections. That stuff is pretty cheap and you can even make it yourself. Your vet will probably give you the recipe.

statia July 8, 2003 at 2:56 pm

Yeah, I usually put peroxide in his ears when he swims, but he hasn’t gone swimming all summer.

Jaynee July 9, 2003 at 3:41 pm

You can definitely get the flea/tick stuff, but if a prescription is required (heartworm pills, medications), then you have to go to a vet first to get a prescription. But then you can order the stuff online once you get that.

Hope Gromit feels better soon!

Josh July 9, 2003 at 4:52 pm

No, never have. What ever you do, never EVER buy a Hartz product for use on your animals.

Christina July 9, 2003 at 5:21 pm

If you know exactly what it is that you need for Gromit – you might want to check out – I go there for our kitties’ flea meds because the prices are significantly lower ($31 for advantage flea meds vs. $37 at the vet).

It’s worth looking into, anyway – if you haven’t resolved his ear situation yet.

Kevin July 9, 2003 at 7:40 pm

Like Merrin said, we use PetMeds a lot. We’ve got three dogs and we buy everything from heartworm preventative to ear medicine to …well… you name it. They deliver quickly and it is ALWAYS cheaper than the vet. It is usually cheaper than PetsMart – or at the very least you get exactly what the vet recommended instead of the Hartz version. I would recommend PetMeds. They are one of 5/6 online places that I really, really rely on.