Gimme a smidge Midge

by statia on July 29, 2003

I’m realizing that my youngest cousin, is a wee bit stubborn. Not wanting to realize that she’s the one that talks funny in my state. Not wanting to accept that in Philadelphia, you do NOT call a cheesesteak a steak and cheese. Not in the home that it originated. She just didn’t want to believe that’s what it should be called.

Lastly, how do you people pronounce this word: Dollop. Do you pronounce it like this? According to her, that’s not how it’s pronounced, and lemme tell you folks, she wasn’t budging.

Ahh, to be 16 again. The days when we were always right. Heh.*

* This wasn’t intended to slam her, just to jovially make fun of her, so if you slam her, I’ll hunt you down and hurt you.

michele July 29, 2003 at 5:11 pm

I can’t get into conversations about accents, as I’m the one who says cawfee and mawl.

Dania July 29, 2003 at 5:12 pm

I say it like the chick…

but apparently I talk funny too, so I ain’t sayin’ shit lol

Deltus July 29, 2003 at 5:35 pm

How exactly does she think it’s supposed to be pronounced? It’s “proper” pronounciation is syntactically correct.

BTW, I hope to try a gen-you-ine Philly cheesesteak one day. I bet you eat at least one every month, don’cha? Lucky… Mmmm, cheesesteak… *drools*

mikey July 29, 2003 at 5:50 pm

well, how does SHE pronounce it? dough-LOP?

every time i see the word “cheesesteak”, i think of that Jack in the Box commercial (that you’ve never seen)

“Kevin. I want you to move to Philadelphia and learn everything there is to know about making an authentic philly cheesesteak.”
—-
“Kevin.”

“Yo, Jack-EEE. How’s it hangin’, bro?”

tricia July 29, 2003 at 6:36 pm

Oh. My. God. You are wayyyy too funny. I can’t believe you actually thought about all that stuff for so long. I completely forgot about it up until now. She’s gonna get all bent out of shape when she sees this, because if someone proves her wrong… well… we just won’t go there. heh.

Sassy McSmartpants July 29, 2003 at 7:27 pm

How does she say it? The chick in the .wav says it right. (And I’m goddamn excited for a cheesesteak, man!!)

natalie July 29, 2003 at 7:41 pm

[insert flashing lights]
Linguistics girl gets annoyed!
There’s not really a right or wrong way to say anything–there’s just like “sound like most people” and “talk in a way that makes people look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead.” I, however, say it pretty much like the chick on the site–except the “ol” in the first syllable is a little more like “ahl,” but that’s the midwest in me.

theresa July 29, 2003 at 7:47 pm

I’ve got a 17 year old brother who is the exact same way. Maybe they should hook up :)

Kevin July 29, 2003 at 8:30 pm

So…help me out. Do I order a “Philly Cheesesteak” or just a “cheesesteak”? Like if I’m in London and I want a London Broil, do I just say “broil”?

This is so complicated!! :)

A Small Victory July 29, 2003 at 8:53 pm

want some cawfee?

I’ve been thinking about my accent. For years, I would swear to anyone who asked that I do not have a Long Island accent. Deny, Deny, Deny. Statia mentioned accents today. Lileks mentioned accents – Madonna does not have a…

BillH July 29, 2003 at 11:45 pm

As Mark Twain so succinctly put it: “When I was 16 I was convinced my father was an idiot. But by the time I turned 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned.”

Shelly July 30, 2003 at 8:46 am

I sort of know where she’s coming from. My husband is from Massachusetts and the only word he can say properly is “chowdah”. He still calls it “vacuuming the floor” and calls them “sneakers”. It bugs me.
But yes, the lady in the link says it right. How *does* your niece say it? I can’t think that there’s any other way to say it?

joy July 30, 2003 at 10:00 am

My fiance is from Scotland. There are so many things that he pronounces wrong – er, DIFFERENTLY – that I have given up being bothered by them. But I’m really glad to know about that pronunciation thingat m-w.com. Never noticed that before. Maybe now I can teach Rod how normal human beings pronounce tortoise.

Stephanie July 30, 2003 at 11:39 am

As a native Masshole, what’s wrong with “vacuuming the floor” and “sneakers???”

And I *LOVE* that Jack in the Box commercial.

Yo, JACK-EE! I soaked up Philly like a SPUNGE!

Shelly July 30, 2003 at 5:30 pm

>>As a native Masshole, what’s wrong with “vacuuming the floor” and “sneakers???”< I *love* that you sai dthe word “Masshole”…my husband refuses to let me call him that, even when he is being one.

And there’s nothing wrong with it…however, it’s “running the sweeper” and “tennis shoes”. ::nods::

When I move to Massachussetts, I’ll be happy to convert. But he must conform when living here. It’s only fair. :)

e July 30, 2003 at 6:41 pm

well- i’m 26, and I’m still always right… :)

ChrisTina July 30, 2003 at 6:45 pm

where i come from it’s shoes and vacuum…everyone talks funny to me.. I’m an Okie.
I like how New Yawkas tawk…Quatah…HAHA..is that how Philidelphians talk too?

:: jozjozjoz :: July 30, 2003 at 11:19 pm

I want to be right all the time again. But I don’t wanna be 16 again, do I?

Stephanie July 31, 2003 at 11:40 am

sneakers… tennis shoes… it’s all good. just don’t call ‘em TENNIES!

most Massholes don’t like being called ‘Massholes,’ but as long as i’m living on the west coast i’ve got to keep the feisty Mass. spirit alive!

Sean July 31, 2003 at 7:47 pm

What the heck is a Dollop? As in dollop like a scoop of this or that…a dollop? Stupid ass, good for nothing college degree. Pick an easier word. Oh yeah…and type slower, we read slow in the south.

Thank you. That is all.