867-5309

by statia on July 7, 2003

Lots of people I know change cell phone numbers like I change socks. I’ve had mine for the last four years, and I intend to keep it because it’s easy to remember, and it’s also a 215 area code which these days is rare. I’ve had verizon for as long as I can remember and overall, I’ve been happy with their service, and wouldn’t change. Not that I could anyway, if I wanted to keep my number. About 6 months ago, my friend had told me that in the near future, you would be able to bring your number with you if you decided to change providers. Well, apparently now, that’s going to cost you too.

Link from Ericalynn.

matt July 7, 2003 at 8:57 pm

it’s saying that we are all going to be charged whether or not we ever change, just to have the privilege to do it someday.

Lisa, Gal of Unix July 7, 2003 at 11:11 pm

That sucks! It would be ok to charge a one time fee (well, not really, but it would be more acceptable than a monthly charge).

theresa July 7, 2003 at 11:27 pm

Hrm. Funny you should mention that. I’m switching from SunCom to Verizon by the end of August. I was gonna call Verizon to see if I could keep the phone number I have now. Good thing Verizon doesn’t plan to charge for it for now.

randy July 8, 2003 at 12:18 am

1) Love that song (867-5309)
2) In “The Rising”, the first time Springsteen sings the chorus, I could swear he’s saying, “Come on up, for Verizon…”

jen July 9, 2003 at 9:50 am

hey…were you calling ME?

tommy tutone nearly ruined my life in high school, just so you know…

and yeah, i’ve had the same cell phone number for almost 6 years now….hell, i’ve just recently learned it, i can’t give it up!

LisaC July 9, 2003 at 8:08 pm

Down in Australia telephone number porting was introduced a year or two ago. It’s fantastic. I was able to change to a much cheaper provider and not have to change numbers. My old provider charged $8 for it but they are the only ones charging for it.