It’s a Cruel, cruel summer

by statia on June 26, 2003

I was just out walking g-man. I can honestly say, that while it’s totally and udderly thick and gross outside, I feel so happy and content knowing that I can walk outside with just shorts and a tank top on, and not have to take an extra fifteen minutes to layer myself in snow/rain gear. I don’t even care that I have a layer of humidity on my skin when I came inside.

Walking outside underneath the streetlights, crickets chirping, the smell of summer. I feel whisked back into that “summer vacation” feel. You know, thrown back into your childhood, that feeling of being outside at night, and knowing, that you had nowhere to be the next day, no responsibilities. You could stay up as late as you wanted. It was a fleeting feeling, knowing that I had to get up tomorrow, and go to work, fight the rat race early in the morning. But still, it was that small feeling wishing, and hoping, that maybe one day, I could feel that feeling again.

gojou June 26, 2003 at 11:49 pm

Amen, sista. Those were the days. :-)

buddha June 27, 2003 at 12:25 am

Driving home from work and pulling into my development I see kids running around, riding bikes, playing in groups makes me think that those days are over. As “grownups”..heh..we will never get that freedom or feeling back. I hear the screaming of kids at night and all I know is that I have to go to bed to get up and go to work..for the next 30-40 years…makes me sick.

randy June 27, 2003 at 1:59 am

Those were the days. I remember hearing crickets, never hear them where I live in Edmonton. And the days when you could sit outside, in the medium cool summer night, knowing that the next day was without responsibility…

marti June 27, 2003 at 10:43 am

Sure you will get to do that again… It is called retirement!
It is fun to watch the kiddie’s in the hood though, it brings back fond memories.

ChrisTina June 27, 2003 at 2:37 pm

I wish I was in 5th grade again…(I say this almost every day)

Jonathan June 27, 2003 at 3:33 pm

I was walking up the sidewalk to my place last night and saw a green flashing… light… in the grass next to the sidewalk. Thought to myself, hmmm, someone lost their cellphone or such in my yard.

No, it was a lightning bug flashing up a storm; the first one I had noticed this year. But it’s sad the first thing I thought of was “cellphone.”

Anyway, lightning bugs are something that remind me of the Summers of my youth.