War, what is it good for

by statia on April 2, 2003

Is anyone else taking the “ignorance is bliss” route for all this media coverage on the war? I haven’t watched the news in days, really. I’ve caught bits and pieces of it here and there, but I’ve found that even that’s too much. I’m really beginning to loathe the media with the passion. It’s all about tugging at your heart strings, finding the most slack jawed ignorant family member or local townie to interview, and journalist scandals. I mean, you really think that Peter Arnett won’t find another job? C’mon, networks keep continuing to hire this joke.

Is it really sad that my main source of news these days comes from John Stewart? I’m just askin’.

Sassy McSmartpants April 2, 2003 at 9:00 am

No, not at all. I’m with you sista-girlfriend. I haven’t watched much news at all, haven’t read many stories on it. Just kinda keeping my head down, waiting for the big big big stuff like, “We interrupt this program to tell you that we’re all fucked.”

tj April 2, 2003 at 9:15 am

daily show should be EVERYBODY’S source for accurate, up-to-the-minute news!

i’ve been getting my war news from the internet … it’s on my time and it’s not as sensationalistic.

NIcole April 2, 2003 at 9:16 am

John Stewart has been making the most sense so far, yo. Who can blame you? Even I have been avoiding the media circus like the plague. I read international papers for the news…it seems less Bush-centric.

rickg April 2, 2003 at 9:24 am

i hear you loud and clear. i started watching at first, had such a headache from all the crap the first day that i mute the tv when it’s on (which is almost always). if i want to know anything i go to cnn online. and Geraldo Revolver? loves the sound of his own voice. he makes Rikki Lake look like a pulitzer-prize winner (my opinion – take it or leave it). is the war “just”? who the fuck cares – it’s moot now. they’ve already sent our troops over to do a job. stay out of their way Mr. Rumsfeld, let them do their job (kick ass and take names), and get the fuck out of there before any more get killed or maimed than is absolutely unavoidable. don’t repeat Viet Nam. and France? they bent over and let whoever wanted to take ‘em from behind for the entire 20th century – why should it be any different now? traitorous motherfuckers.

Phew! i feel better now. thanks.

GeekGrrl April 2, 2003 at 9:33 am

Girl, I’m right there with you. The media is all about sensationalizing. Getting ratings. I’m really watching my intake as far as the war is concerned.

Guess I should watching Jon Stewart, eh? ;)

Kymberlie R. McGuire April 2, 2003 at 11:08 am

If I watch the news I’ll be on antidepressents by the end of the week for sure. It’s like 9/11 all over again; I just can’t take the constant barrage of images.

Sonia April 2, 2003 at 11:11 am

No I haven’t watched any war coverage..
My partner watches it all the time.. and tries to keep me up to date!! I just say *not interested*

don April 2, 2003 at 11:24 am

I *heart* The Daily Show! Besides the office gossip, they are my SOLE source of war news. (the standard media outlets bore me with their overanalysis and stupidity)

Jim April 2, 2003 at 12:11 pm

I am so down with you! I can’t take the news anymore. I feel that we have finally crossed that line and it will just keep getting worse and worse. Let’s talk about Geraldo. How in the hell does a guy like him happen? He is such a jackass I can’t believe anyone outside of Fox news would actually take him seriously. Oh. I guess I just answered myself.

eric April 2, 2003 at 12:29 pm

war? what the? nah, I’m with you, when I heard “shock and awe” for the 3800th time, I felt the wretching in my stomach begin. I’m limiting myself to Monty Python and budweiser.

Stephanie April 2, 2003 at 12:48 pm

are we STILL at war?

jen April 2, 2003 at 2:19 pm

i’m with you, completely. i figure, if it’s bad enough, someone will tell me, i won’t need to be glued to cnn to find out.

if i didn’t realize that the media absolutely LOVES to sensationalize this stuff, i might not be so damn jaded.

Jon April 2, 2003 at 3:57 pm

Don’t take this the wrong way Statia, but yeah, it is.

statia April 2, 2003 at 4:40 pm

Maybe to you, but it looks like I’m not the only one who’s “media’d” out.

Koganuts April 2, 2003 at 5:06 pm

No, you are not the only one who’s gotten information overload from the war. The POW rescue was welcome news though…

Heather April 2, 2003 at 5:36 pm

I’m sick of it, too. Everything is “Breaking News” and they media is trying to keep the excitement level at a constant high. It’s tiring to say the least. I don’t have Comedy Central or else I’d be watching Jon Stewart, too. :(

Mandie April 2, 2003 at 6:48 pm

I haven’t watched the news in about 2 weeks, since before the “war” started. Glad I’m not the only one!

LisaC April 2, 2003 at 7:10 pm

Had to stop watching the news. I am sleeping bad and having gross violent dreams.

jay April 2, 2003 at 10:39 pm

I’m just glad the Simpons are on the same times as the news.

SpunkyTheMonkey April 3, 2003 at 3:33 am

i also got bored of it days ago, and for the record, peter arnett was hired by the daily mirror the day after he was fired. i think so anyway…it was april 1st…

Meredith April 3, 2003 at 4:20 pm

I get most of my news from Howard Stern during my morning commute… that’s much worse than Jon Stewart. ;)