Recycling is the law.

by statia on March 18, 2003

There’s this new local commercial on NBC regarding recycling in Philadelphia. Honestly, I have to wonder what demographic they’re targeting with these early morning commercials. I never see most of them in the evening.

Anyway, it’s some rent a cop talking about recycling and how we’re supposed to do it (well, at least the city anyway), followed by people making excuses why they don’t do it. My dog ate the instructions, I don’t use cans or bottles, among other equally idiotic phrases. The kicker is the rent a cop at the end. “Recycling is the law. Break it, and I’ll have to write you up.” I mean really. Is this supposed to make us scared to sleep? Are the city residents quaking in their boots because they threw a bottle in the garbage last night? Not even the mention of a fine, just getting written up. Is non recycling becoming an epidemic?

Tracy March 18, 2003 at 1:25 pm

Ok, we’re about to go to war. We could be attacked by terrorists at any minute. And your city is spending money on commercials about recycling? Wow. Well, I guess that’s some kind of odd reality check…

Joelle March 18, 2003 at 1:42 pm

omg. In texas they have the “If Texas were your mother, would you still litter” campaign. A woman is standing in a field. Country twang music in the background. A car you don’t see drives by and tosses an ashtray full of cigarette butts all over this woman who doesn’t move or say a word. Then the graphics appear “IF Texas were your mom, would you still litter?”

What. The. Fuck. Is. That?!

Stephanie March 18, 2003 at 2:02 pm

Hehe… yeah, I can hear your teeth chattering from here. In WA we’re pretty up front about the litter issue (it being the Evergreen State and all…). Some freeways actually have the sign “Litter and It Will Hurt.” Now, to me, that means business!

dave March 18, 2003 at 5:22 pm

i sometimes saw in ontario a sign that had a tin can with a gavel next to it with a red circle and a line through it (i suppose to show that littering is a crime), anyway, i always thought it looked like it ment “throw a can out your window and i will hit you with a hammer”

Annessa March 18, 2003 at 9:52 pm

Our local trash-related commercial shows people throwing trash, and pretty people picking it up and throw it away for them. The people got in trouble for shooting that commercial, because they littered during the shoot. Irony, thy name is Florida.

LisaC March 19, 2003 at 7:49 pm

Ad’s like that ( Even if somewhat stupid) are designed to enforce. You have a couple of groups when it comes to the environment. The 1st will do it because it is the right thing to do. The second will do it because it is against the law(insert commercial for education), the third don’t give a shit and should be forced to live next to a garbage dump.