The doctor is in

by statia on February 15, 2003

peanuts.gifWhen I was younger, I always wanted to be a psychiatrist. I don’t know why. I was always fascinated by the human mind and psychology. But I didn’t study it it until high school. I wanted to be a psychiatrist when I was like 12. It seems like a lot of people I know have been going through some sort of problem or are hurting. I don’t mind having my ear bent when people need to talk. I can only come to one conclusion:

I missed my calling.

ericalynn February 15, 2003 at 1:41 pm

you didn’t miss your calling! who says that there’s a certain age in which things need to be accompished by? you can still go to school and get a degree in whatever you want. you’re still quite young! if this is something you want to do, then do it! seriously.

Jules February 15, 2003 at 1:43 pm

You can still become a psychiatrist.
better late than never, right?

sphinxy February 15, 2003 at 1:50 pm

Anyone who can put up with my incoherent, incessant, irrational babbling on a daily basis is gifted in my book.

Joelle February 15, 2003 at 2:04 pm

George Eliot said, “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”

I’m a firm believer in that. And just because you’re not a professional psychiatrist doesn’t mean you’ve missed your calling. Just by listening to your friends and being there for them like you do leads me to believe you haven’t missed anything. :)

Jenni February 15, 2003 at 2:22 pm

I always wanted to be a meteorologist. Always dreamed of hearing “Jennifer K. has earned her meteorological society seal of approval for television weathercasting.” I fear I am forever a geek.

Lisa, Gal of Unix February 15, 2003 at 2:42 pm

You’re a wonderful friend.

zuly February 15, 2003 at 2:43 pm

Sales people have to listen very carefully to their customers needs, then create customized responses. Just like a psychiatrist (without the continual heartache.) And I’m not just saying that, Statia. I know many people who are in sales that have an active interest in psychology and are wonderful listeners. My sister’s best friend, in fact, is trying to decide now whether she’d be happier in her retail career, her pharmaceutical sales career, or pursuing and MSW… As far as calling… I’ve spent the last 2.5 years of my life wondering why I’ve spent $80,000 to study something I’m not *actively* using… but I use the skills everyday in countless ways, both professionally and personally, even if I’m not persuing the professional goal I originally set for myself.

I think the real problem is that we surrounded by people who are hurting, and we just want to take the pain away from them. It feels epidemic, doesn’t it? Everywhere I turn these last few days there’s more bad news from people I love, and it’s just killing me. Hang in there, Statia, and keep doing what you do best — loving them.

jen February 15, 2003 at 6:05 pm

just don’t miss MY CALL when i need ya…mmmkay?
;-)

Tracy February 15, 2003 at 6:38 pm

Well, whether you missed your calling or not, those friend who have spent the last few days bending your ear definitely appreciate the fact that you have a knack for putting things in perspective.

{MWAH!} Thanks for your help! :-)

electric bugaloo dot com February 15, 2003 at 7:08 pm

ah, Saturday

Gotta love those days when there’s nothing to do and nothing on TV. With that, here are some random things

jay February 15, 2003 at 8:24 pm

One of my closest friends is going to school for child pshychology (similar field) and she loves the kids but you should see how stressed she is with all the school work. There were a few moments when she actually considered quitting – getting your doctorate isnt the easiest thing! But she’s almost done now so I’ll have to start calling her Dr. Steph soon. I say go for it if thats what you love but be prepared to give up your weekends for the next 4 years. :)

the mighty jimbo February 15, 2003 at 9:02 pm

no shortage of heads for you to shrink. come to socal. you will know what i mean.

it aint too late.

paul February 16, 2003 at 1:36 am

i really liked my psychology classes in HS and College.

whistler February 16, 2003 at 8:01 pm

yeah, you do a darn good job. No one tells me “dont get your panties in a bunch” like you do. Thanks for dealing with my paranoia. Someday I’ll realize that everyone doesn’t hate me.

Thanks…

robyn February 17, 2003 at 2:52 am

Well as good as your “free stuff” is, the pay stuff could cure the world… I love ya’. Thanks for being there for us!