Baby I love to see you smile

by statia on January 8, 2003

One of the things about being aquired, is having to meet all of the new people you’ll be working with. Be it management or people you need to rely on for certain processes. I did a lot of meeting people the last three days. Thankfully, I’m good at it. I have no problem meeting someone new. I sure as hell am not shy.

One of my new VP’s was there. I met him a few times before. He was in our office on quite a few occasions before everything went down. Meeting the people in my division, and he took quite a bit of time asking us what we do, gathering info. All in all, he seems like a nice guy, and has gone out of his way to say hi to all of us while in the office.

He brought to my attention something that I was unaware of. He asked me why I was always so serious. I damn near spit my water through my nose. Me? Serious? Was he kidding? Come on people, let me see a show of hands of how many people think I’m so serious…. yeah, I didn’t think so. He told me that I hardly ever smile.

Ok, that sort of took me back a bit. I rarely smile when I’m at the office. Not that I hate my job or anything. I don’t. But I guess I sort of maintain some sort of professionalism when I’m doing my job. Not to say I don’t joke around. I’ll bust your balls with the best of them. It just got me thinking. I’ve been through so much in the last few years and have changed more than most people I know in my 20′s. The last few years have been especially tough on me. I wonder if it’s breaking me. I need to get out of this dark funk.

Jay January 8, 2003 at 10:43 pm

One of the reasons I got my nickname ‘cranky’ at work. Hey I’m not their to make friends, but I sure as hell am good at busting balls!

robyn January 9, 2003 at 1:18 am

We really need to live closer together. Seriously.

meegan January 9, 2003 at 7:56 am

i think we allow different facets of our personality shine at different times. at work i am more of the ever-cheery cheerleader than i am at home. (the position calls for it, this is not by choice, heh.)
maybe you are just at a more thoughtful, serious stage in your professoinal life. i appreciate how it can feel odd especially when that is not who you are. i am rambling now…
you are in my thoughts. :)

travis January 9, 2003 at 9:16 am

i think i act the same way at work. i come in, do my job, and go home. i don’t go around sharing my weekend with anyone and everyone. so as a result, people think i’m weird.

i’m glad your merger is going good. i’m in the middle of a very painful, very confusing merger-like situation at work.

Stephanie January 9, 2003 at 11:36 am

Yeah, you ARE a ball buster…! I think what you’re experiencing is the plight of the GenX/GenY young professional in a predominantly Baby Boomer-run world. The tide will turn in about 10 years….

brian January 9, 2003 at 12:52 pm

If you really want to bust some balls, tell the VP he created a hostile work environment for you with his thinly-veiled sexual advance, sue the company, then buy it. >:-)

sphinxy January 9, 2003 at 4:03 pm

You should smile more…it suits you.

sphinxy January 9, 2003 at 4:03 pm

You should smile more…it suits you.

sphinxy January 9, 2003 at 4:03 pm

You should smile more…it suits you.

ste January 11, 2003 at 8:44 pm

Hehe, that’s why I exercise my face several times a day by trying to hold a smile for several minutes. I figure eventually, those smiling muscles have to tighten until smiling comes naturally. ;)

Susan January 12, 2003 at 12:41 am

I had someone tell me that recently, too. And it was someone whom I thought knew me quite well! Maybe you just put your game face on, and show the rest of us the ‘real you’ on your blog. The whole comment seems a bit presumptuous to me…

Cyberangel January 15, 2003 at 12:52 pm

Hmmm, people keep coming by my office to ask me if I’m okay because I’m awfully quiet. I just tell them I have a lot going on. Good lord, if they only knew… but there’s no way I’m sharing that stuff at the office. It’s personal. Becky