Weird rituals

by statia on November 25, 2002

As I get older, crankier, and more set in my ways, I noticed that I’m developing weird bedtime habits. Sure, I wash my face and brush my teeth and do all the normal stuff. But since living by myself for the last 8 months, I noticed I do weird things. Like, I can’t go to bed at night without bringing my keys to bed. I have to make sure that my closet door is all the way closed and my shoes are put away. I lock my bedroom door. That’s not really that abnormal. Oh, but bringing your camera into your bedroom is. Like if someone breaks in, at least I have my keys, and my camera. And they’ll never be able to get through that cheesy lock on my bedroom door. If they do, I’ll take their picture.

mikey November 25, 2002 at 5:49 pm

ok dude, i can understand just about everything except… the camera. why the hell dya need to bring the camera to bed with you?

trish November 25, 2002 at 5:55 pm

LOL! WEll, that’s because you could take their picture and if they kill you, the police will find it! I get it! From the girl who fights off intruders with hair spray and a lighter! heh heh

Tracy November 25, 2002 at 6:02 pm

But not Gromit the Wonder Dog? You don’t bring him in with you?

meegan November 25, 2002 at 6:05 pm

yeah, i am not getting the whole camera thing either.

...t o k e n r a m b l i n g s... v.2* November 25, 2002 at 6:05 pm

even as a sim i suck

okay, so statia is now a sim too. of course, my sim-house is broke and sim-mates are the most boring

kat November 25, 2002 at 6:31 pm

ok, you take gromit and the camera. gromit barks to let you know someone is coming through the door and so that you can get ready to snap the pic. and if the bad guy, kills you, gromit the wonder dog can grab the camera and take it to the police. he’s not afraid of police is he?…lol my dog that my parents had was terrifed by them.

Noggie November 25, 2002 at 7:01 pm

Well, let’s be glad that you are not similarly attached to your automobile ;)

ste November 25, 2002 at 9:32 pm

I can’t sleep without a fan blowing on me. I have to check several times to see if I’ve got the volume low enough on my computer before going to bed. I check all of the doors at least twice. I lock my door. I make sure my alarm is facing me (not necessarily that it’s turned on though) so I can see the time at any point in the night. Yeah, I’m old. I’m crotchety. ;)

Not ME November 25, 2002 at 10:40 pm

Sounds too familiar. I used to put a chair under the front door nob. In my crazy mind no one could open the back sliding door. My own kids figured out how to jimmy the sliding glass door from being locked. Nah an adult wouldn’t be able to do it.
I would have a night light on. If someone made it up the stairs they might turn off the light then I would wake up.
Then it all went out the window one night.
Some prankster called at 3am and kept saying how he knew I was alone. I got up and turned on every single light in the house.
I had problems sleeping for a week. When you are freaked out you forget about *69. I was ready when they tried calling back on a different night.

Sleeping with a lighter I always thought was good. Can set them on fire enough to get away.

Jessica November 26, 2002 at 9:04 pm

That doesn’t sound paranoid, just a tiny bit obsessive-compulsive. I say that with love – as in I looooove my own OCD habits. If the camera is comforting, it’s comforting, and the keys make perfect sense to me.
OCD and anxiety go hand in hand, but not always for super clear reasons. But still, it’s nice to have a system to get yourself to sleep! ;D