Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore

by statia on September 18, 2002

Now that the weather is getting a bit cooler at night, I noticed that windows and stuff are being opened. Which is fine, I guess. I still have my air on because my windows don’t stay open and well, I don’t want creepy crawlies getting in the house either. However, there’s something to be said for blatantly leaving your sliding glass door open. I noticed a lot of people that live on the second and third floors mostly do this. Is it me or does it strike you as being dangerous? I live in the burbs, but I’m not that far out of the city. Not to mention there’s been talk on the news about rapists breaking into second story windows of apartments, and kids being abducted or assulted in their second story bedrooms. It’s scary. Even on the third floor I wouldn’t just leave my sliding glass door open. It’d take a little work, but someone can always get on the roof. I wouldn’t even leave my window open if I were on the first floor. It’s like an open invitation to rapists and killers. Am I being crazy here?

Yvonne September 18, 2002 at 10:57 am

Nah, you’re not crazy. You really shouldn’t be sleeping with windows and doors open anymore, although I do it. However, I will NOT leave my children’s windows open at night, hell no, there’s are always locked!!

billy September 18, 2002 at 11:19 am

When I lived in Seattle, my apartment overlooked a freeway. Not many places there have A/C, and my heat usually came through the floor naturally, so I left my sliding glass door and balcony windows open year ’round.

I kept wishing a woman would climb the balcony and rape me, but no one ever did.

Took me a good six months to get used to not having traffic whiz by at all hours of the morning when I moved back to Dallas.

ste September 18, 2002 at 11:29 am

When we leave our windows open at night, we only leave the upstairs windows open. We shut and lock all the downstairs windows and doors every night. It would be pretty tough to get into our second-story windows anyway – there’s nothing really close to them for any leverage.

Jake September 18, 2002 at 1:57 pm

Thank God the cold weather has returned here in Seattle

robyn September 18, 2002 at 9:23 pm

In our old apartment in St. Pete, we lived on the second floor and our patio was screened/enclosed, with no way in except through the apartment — and it was right over a double-garage. So they would’ve had to scaled a flat garage door, then cut out our screen, to get in. We left it open all the time (especially since the screen kept the bugs out). But no way when I lived in Philly — even though I was in the “safe” part of town — would I have left my windows/doors open at night!

Jennifer September 18, 2002 at 9:57 pm

nope. Not crazy. That’d freak me out… I have nightmares when we leave the windows open that someone/something will try to get in…

In fact, one time (this was when Rachel was first born) – it was just too hot, and we had the windows open (but the screens in place) and there were coyotes around, making a lot of noise in the middle of the night… I had a panic attack that THEY’D try to come in and get the baby… lol!!… (note: we were on the second floor)

okay… maybe we’re both crazy! ;-)

todd September 18, 2002 at 10:27 pm

I miss sleeping with the windows open in early spring and late fall in Oklahoma when the cold weather started kicking in. Snuggling under the comforters then was totally sweet.

Susan September 21, 2002 at 5:13 am

I second Jake’s emotion; it is SOOOO much better here now that it’s in the 60s-70s! And you’re not crazy; I would never leave windows open like that. I don’t even do it in our house!!